Breeding Journal, MConnelly, Species: Centropyge argi

connellymike
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 33
Breeding Journal, MConnelly, Species: Centropyge argi - Friday, August 29, 2014 5:27 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Cherub Angelfish (Centropyge argi)           
Social Structure:  Pair (moving towards trio) 
Size of Individuals:  5.5 cm, 3.5 cm
Age of Individuals:  Wild Caught
Date added to Tank:  8/24/2014

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  29 Gallon
Substrate Details:  Bare Bottom
Filtration Details:  AquaClear 70 HOB Filter
Water Changes:  2.5 gallons twice weekly (Tuesday, Friday)
Water Temperature:  80 degrees F
Lighting:  Mix of Blue/White LED's
Lighting Cycle:  6AM - 9PM 
Other Tank Inhabitants:  10/29 - Chalk Basslet 

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Frozen, Live Brine Shrimp, Frozen Mysid
Feeding Schedule:  3x Daily, Live Brine at least once per week

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 
Consecutive Hatch Dates:      

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by connellymike on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:32 PM>

connellymike
Re:Breeding Journal, MConnelly, Species: Centropyge argi - Friday, August 29, 2014 5:37 PM
First attempt at pair formation with Cherub Angelfish, I'm currently working on slowly introducing the smaller individual I just acquired to my larger Cherub which I have had for close to 7 months. 
They seem to get along without any intense aggression, but the smaller one does seem to come away with more fin tears. So I pulled the smaller Cherub out into a solitary acrylic box in the tank where the two can interact but still not fight. Good idea? 
Also, I would ideally like to maintain a harem for my broodstock, so hopefully I can pick up another smaller Cherub this weekend and acclimate it into the developing social structure.

The tank itself is a 29 gallon with some limited live rock and scattered PVC, will post photos next week. I hope to have a sort of Caribbean biotope (living in Miami + underrated Caribbean fish = beautiful tanks) with some potential Masked and Neon Goby pairs being added in the coming weeks. I also have a Peppermint Basslet in quarantine right now and would like to have him in the system. Anyone see any glaring conflicts with these goals?

connellymike
Re:Breeding Journal, MConnelly, Species: Centropyge argi - Wednesday, October 29, 2014 9:39 PM
Fast forward two months.
The two Cherub Angels previously discussed have settled down quite nicely with each other, and are currently very healthy. Both have grown, with my now presumed male at a TL of 6cm and my presumed female with a TL near 4cm. I also have a third angelfish I am trying to acclimate into the family (4.5cm), but attempts have been unsuccessful thus far, with advanced aggression whenever I let #3 out of the acrylic box. Also worth noting is the pair's interaction when the lights go off. Typically my male will chase the female and attempt to nudge her underside, which I understand to be a pretty good sign. However, the female has been generally avoiding the male's advanced and I don't anticipate spawning anytime soon.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, MConnelly, Species: Centropyge argi - Saturday, November 1, 2014 2:16 AM
It'll come...I had mine spawning like 2 weeks after I set them up.  My $0.02...if #3 is just not working out, don't force it.  These guys can get really nasty on each other and murderous if they feel like it.