Breeding Platinum A.percula

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 1249
Breeding Platinum A.percula - Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:46 PM
It is not clear if two platinum clowns can be mated and are fertile.The "platinum" character is said to be produced by a "double dose" of some part of the "Picasso"genome.Meaning that they show in some Picasso X Picasso breeding.
Should the mating of Picasso x Platinum be the best way to produce Platinum offspring?.
I couldnĀ“t find much info about this topic.Any advice or data will be appreciated.

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Breeding Platinum A.percula - Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:39 PM
I've read some anecdotal evidence that platinumxplatinum pairs throw all platinum offspring but with high mortality. I'll see if I can find the thread.

joebean
  • Total Posts : 50
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points : 357
Re:Breeding Platinum A.percula - Monday, October 6, 2014 4:40 PM
100% platinum as documented here
http://reefcentral.com/fo...owthread.php?t=2365143

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:Breeding Platinum A.percula - Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:33 PM
Thanks to both Joes!
Perhaps inheritance of the platinum/picasso traits is more complex than relating it to a single partially dominant gen producing picasso in "single dose" (heterocygote) and platinum in "double dose" (homocygote).If that was the case,platinum x platinum should produce 100% platinum,while picasso x picasso would give us 25% platinum,50% picasso and 25% normal percula;all the time.
Things get more complicated if more than one pair of genes regulate the trait,or if other genes affect their expression,i.e. their capability to operate.And we hear that some platinum pairs fail to reproduce,or produce few and /or weak fry.This points to lethal/deleterious genes associated to the platinum/picasso trait or else coincidental and due to prolonged inbreeding.
We need to hear more of breeders producing platinum...

JoeDigiorgio
Re:Breeding Platinum A.percula - Thursday, October 9, 2014 7:24 PM
I suck lol that's the link I said I'd try to find...then I forgot about it. Sorry Luis lol

Jacobsdad09
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 22
Re:Breeding Platinum A.percula - Saturday, November 22, 2014 9:13 PM
any more on this? i just recieved a pair of platinum clowns that are about 4 yo and plan on trying to breed them.....seems like it would be a waste if they dont produce really.....

JoeDigiorgio
Re:Breeding Platinum A.percula - Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:02 PM
You'd only get platinums from such a pair. Truthfully, there are far better investments out there than a pair that will only produce platinums.