Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula var. Onyx x Picasso]

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula var. Onyx x Picasso] - Saturday, October 18, 2014 6:23 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  A. Percula
Social Structure:  Trio (very small satellite male included)  
Size of Individuals:  Male 1.5" female 2.5"
Age of Individuals:  Unknown, female wild male purchased as juvenile at MACNA 2013
Date added to Tank:  August 2013

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  37gal column 
Substrate Details:  crushed coral
Filtration Details:  This display receives a water change every couple of days and is otherwise unfiltered. Current is created with an RW15. 
Water Changes:  5gal every other day or so, old water is used for various things like rotifers etc
Water Temperature:  81*F
Lighting:  AI Nano 
Lighting Cycle:  12on/12off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  1 banggai cardinalfish, pair stonogobiops nematodes, 1 male stonogobiops yasha (female jumped)

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  grated wild salmon filet, spectrum .5mm pellets, H2OLife Reef Caviar
Feeding Schedule:  everytime I walk by

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  Sept 9, 2014
Spawn Time of Day:  4pm
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  Sept 9, Sept 30, Oct 1, Oct 11, Oct 21, Nov 1, Nov 12, Nov 22, Dec 3, Dec 13, Dec 24, Jan 3, Jan 14, Jan 26, Feb 6 
Courtship Details:  I noticed something was weird when the female was helping to clean around the base of the anemones...she never helps. Every spawn so far, she becomes very bloated, refuses food, and cleans the nest site 12-24hrs prior to spawning.
Egg Size:  3mm
Egg Color:  Orange becoming silver
Egg Count:  3-550ish more each time

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  The first two nests were manually cleared by the female the day of the following spawn so no hatch to my knowledge. Nest 3 had a total of 6 larvae hatch, all were successfully collected (more on that later) Nest 4 is due to hatch October 20. 
Hatch Time of Day:  11pm
# Days after Spawn:  10
Larvae Description:  Long, carrot shaped, silver
Consecutive Hatch Dates:  October 10     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80*F
Size of Larval Tank:  3gal for the first "hatch" of 6 larvae
Substrate Details:  bare
Other Tank Decor:  heater
Filtration Details:  rigid airline at full boil, live nannochloropsis added daily to keep tint
Lighting: 12watt fluorescent  
Lighting Cycle:    24hrs through meta
Water Changes:  Every 2-3 days, 20%

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rotifers, golden pearls and OtoA starting day 7
Feeding Schedule:  rotifers whenever they appear to be thinning, golden pearls/OtoA once or twice daily until meta 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: First larvae settled October 23, 2014  settlement starts at 10dph and continues for 2-3 days before the last larvae changes
Days after Hatch:   settlement starts at 9dph and continues for 2-3 days before the last larvae changes
Date of Settlement End:  October 25, 2014
Description of Fry:  Tiny orange clownfish, with a single stripe at the head, some no stripe...turn out to be platinums

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80*F
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  10gal
Substrate Details:  bare bottom
Other Tank Decor:  2" flower pots after meta
Filtration Details:  sponge filter
Lighting:  incandescent, 20watts
Lighting Cycle:  16 on 8 off
Water Changes:  20% every 3 days
Size at Transfer:  unable to measure, maybe 3/16"
Age at Transfer:  24dph

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  OtoA, NLS pellets crushed, spirulina flake crushed
Feeding Schedule:  everytime I see the tank

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by JoeDigiorgio on Monday, March 23, 2015 12:17 AM>

JoeDigiorgio
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula var. Onyx x Picasso] - Saturday, October 18, 2014 6:51 PM
Not sure why these videos are so grainy. First is the parents tending eggs the second is larvae 8dph

JoeDigiorgio
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula var. Onyx x Picasso] - Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:33 PM
I got her to put a third of her last nest on a piece of flower pot. I think I'm going to let this nest ride and see if she puts the next one all the way on it....thoughts?

Also is everyone able to see the pics and videos? 

JoeDigiorgio
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula var. Onyx x Picasso] - Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:36 PM
Forgot the picture of the latest nest from yesterday the 21st. She laid late, like 9pm.
Attached Image(s)

JoeDigiorgio
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula var. Onyx x Picasso] - Monday, March 23, 2015 12:24 AM
Here is a photo of three post meta offspring from the first hatch.
Attached Image(s)

JoeDigiorgio
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula var. Onyx x Picasso] - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:15 AM

Here is a crappy iPhone picture of the middle fish from my previous post. Now well beyond 60dps, he's the only one I kept and he's developing into a very nice fish. I've also got a younger batch approaching 60dps which I'll get a photo/video of once I check dates.

president89
  • Total Posts : 224
  • Reward points : 222
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula var. Onyx x Picasso] - Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:00 PM
How do you like the golden pearls. This is the first thread I've seen them used for clowns.

JoeDigiorgio
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula var. Onyx x Picasso] - Friday, November 6, 2015 3:41 AM
They definitely eat them but if you let it become too much of their diet they become very prone to that sudden fright syndrome when the lights come on or off. I still use it but tdO is a much larger portion of the diet.