Young pair Laying Habits

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 823
Young pair Laying Habits - Thursday, October 23, 2014 10:41 AM
I'm currently working with a 'new' pair of perculas. The female is on her 5th nest. She puts down a nest every 10 days.

Has anyone else found that 'new' females will lay consecutive nests very quickly? I'm finding that occasionally she goes into her cleaning frenzy with the current nest still unhatched resulting in the nest being eaten to make room for the following one.

Also, I'm finding that I'm having poor hatch rates. Of 600+ egg nests I'm having 10-50 eggs hatch. Any input would be appreciated.

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1044
Re:Young pair Laying Habits - Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:49 PM
My guess is that they are not fertile, or at least most are not fertile. How old is the male? I have a young pair of percs that lay pretty regularly now but they eat the eggs on day three every time. The eggs in my case look slightly different and since the pair is so young all I can think of is the male is too young to fertilize. 

JoeDigiorgio
Re:Young pair Laying Habits - Thursday, October 23, 2014 5:14 PM
They're definitely fertile. They develop perfectly and I am raising some from one of their previous batches right now. 

In case anyone is wondering, there is absolutely no shrimp product in their diet aside from whatever is in the spectrum pellets they get daily.

Everyday they get some combination of salmon filet, pellets, fish eggs and spirulina flakes. 

superfish
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 183
Re:Young pair Laying Habits - Monday, November 10, 2014 12:17 PM
what is ur temperature range?
My picasso eggs takes 8 days to hatch@81.1- 81.6F
It is possible that they take longer to develop if the temp is lower.
IMO, laying frequently are not always a good thing. 12-15 days cycle is ideal to ensure the quality a and quantity

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Young pair Laying Habits - Monday, November 10, 2014 2:55 PM
Eggs will usually take longer to develop at lower temps.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

JoeDigiorgio
Re:Young pair Laying Habits - Monday, November 10, 2014 2:56 PM
Thanks for the input! Your figures are identicle to mine. Hatching day 8 at 81-82F. Last night I had a really successful hatch so I'm hoping things will begin to get easier.

I also agree about the quick cycles. Idk how to slow her down though. Hopefully she just calms down after this 'season' and slows down a little. She's still on a 10day rotation for 6 straight nests.