Brooklynella? - Treatment

president89
  • Total Posts : 224
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 222
Brooklynella? - Treatment - Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:20 PM
I read in Wilkerson's book that a freshwater dip is the treatment. Read formalin is also good. This fish is in my brookstock system. Apparently I didn't QT long enough. Unfortunately it's one of my spawning pairs. Do I treat the system or just the fish?

https://www.youtube.com/w...WULpoO-P2hFzZn47HizPOg

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:04 PM
Both options are dips. I would remove the sick fish ASAP before you wipe out your broodstock system.

president89
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Tuesday, November 4, 2014 6:48 PM
Question. So I just medicate this one fish? I don't introduce a system wide? I read that trauma can bring this on. I will admit that on sunday night, I turned the system lights back on, after they turned off to keep my light timing. (damn daylights saving time). This particular fish freaked out big time. It was hiding for hours. I'm wondering if this contributed to this issue.

waldend
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:17 PM
Yes just the one or any showing symptoms. You indicated you had a QT so you should move it there and do formalin dips in separate container. If you do the lower level dose on the system it will kill your biological filtration. I believe now Formalin is the only treatment that everyone agrees works. Are you sure it's Brook? If so, all your fish are at serious risk. How long did you QT?

president89
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Tuesday, November 4, 2014 9:56 PM
No QT. Not sure why I said that. They have been around for 5 weeks with no symptoms. Just this one showing symptoms. he's dead now.
Some of the fish are losing appetite, but they still attack live brine shrimp. No visible signs I was attributing the appetite loss to me spoiling them with the shrimp - which I know happens. The little guy died while I was on my way to Petco for medicine. Picked up Kordon's Ich Attack - it was the only thing that sounded like it might work. Couldn't find any formalin.  See attached pics of the little dead guy. What do I do now? This is a 5 pair broodstock system. Do I medicate the whole setup?

president89
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 5, 2014 8:39 AM
So since this is a centralized system what do I do to eradicate this disease? I keep reading dips, but I don't hear anything that deals with disinfecting the system itself.

waldend
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 5, 2014 10:28 AM
I don't have time to help research it fully but a quick search recommended dips and "resetting" the system. Not sure what the reset consists of though. Most likely a complete drain and disinfect on all components and then refill and replace with new bio filter material, if available. If not there is a particular brand of bacteria you can buy in bulk that was recommended by Dr Andrew Rhyne to a group at the MBI conference to seed the system. He said they have vats of it and they literally have a tap where they will pull out a gallon and ship it overnight. Maybe someone else can chip in with the correct name or someone with more direct ties can ask him. I think a UV would also be good but I saw discussion on if it helps or not due to the Brook not having a true free swimming stage.
<message edited by waldend on Wednesday, November 5, 2014 10:39 AM>

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 5, 2014 1:38 PM
Formalin system wide.  I don't screw around if something sneaks in.

president89
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 5, 2014 1:50 PM
Cannot find formalin locally. Lfs sold old, walmart petco etc don't have any. One Lfs gave me some quick cure which has formalin in it. Need to google dosage. What impact does formalin have on spawning pairs.

waldend
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:27 PM
Matt - can you expand a little?

Just curious to see what you feel about the bacteria kill-off from the Formalin and also do you mean just leave the Formalin in the system? It is a carcinogen and not good for human exposure correct?

president89
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 5, 2014 7:29 PM
I'm sure everyone already knew this, but stores don't sell formalin anymore! Luckily a breeder i was picking up some rotifers from had some formalin he let me have! Now i'm trying to figure out my next steps. I think I'm going to treat teh system rather than dip, because it's FO. I need to read up on the next steps because i have to plan some large water changes.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:22 PM
Quote Originally Posted by waldend

Just curious to see what you feel about the bacteria kill-off from the Formalin and also do you mean just leave the Formalin in the system? It is a carcinogen and not good for human exposure correct?

Yes, formalin is a carcinogen. Yes, I dose the entire system if I suspect brooklynella, and work through the consequences.  Brook is nasty nasty nasty. It'd be best to confirm the ID before treatment if you can, but when it comes right down to it, it seems that Formalin is really the only thing that's going to work.  I recently tried the new Spectrum Ich-Shield on fish fresh fish that started to show brooklynella...it didn't stop ANTYHING.  Formalin cleaned them right up.

president89
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:35 PM
Hi Matt, 1 drop per gallon for a daily dosage, for how long?

president89
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 5, 2014 11:40 PM
I'm removing my carbon, do I turn the skimmer off?

president89
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Monday, November 10, 2014 7:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

Quote Originally Posted by waldend

Yes, formalin is a carcinogen. Yes, I dose the entire system if I suspect brooklynella, and work through the consequences.  Brook is nasty nasty nasty. It'd be best to confirm the ID before treatment if you can, but when it comes right down to it, it seems that Formalin is really the only thing that's going to work.  I recently tried the new Spectrum Ich-Shield on fish fresh fish that started to show brooklynella...it didn't stop ANTYHING.  Formalin cleaned them right up.

Would you expect formalin to negatively impact my other breeders from spawning. They are new spawners, but they were on a schedule. Again, no physical sign of disease including respiratory. Everything looks ok. I saw no spike in Ammonia, so I did no water changes. I also had old formalin, so I may do another dose in a week with new stuff.

president89
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:17 PM
My pairs seemed to stop breeding. Was expecting some nests this week. Can't decide if it's the formalin, or if it's the fact that i used to steal their previous nests to keep them from eating them.

president89
Re:Brooklynella? - Treatment - Wednesday, November 19, 2014 12:04 AM
One pair started spawning again last saturday. Fish still acting a little "Funny" I'm keeping a close eye on them. They are darting around and rubbing on pots. They do normally spawn, so it's hard to tell if it's spawning behavior or disease related.

This is a great thread from another site on formalin dips.
http://www.reefsanctuary....ent-marine-fishes.html