different clown species female breeding age info???

superfish
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 183
different clown species female breeding age info??? - Thursday, November 6, 2014 3:57 PM
Hi, everyone.
First of all, I am new here in MBI. I love this forum, most of the info can be found and they are really helpful.
i currently have several breeding pairs of clowns. i am now thinking of expand my fish room.
it is hard to find GOOD breeding pairs, so im thinking of buying Juveniles and pair them myself. the concern i have right now is i don't want to get pairs and wait 2,3years before getting the first spawn.
that leads to my question, how long will it take for the female to be ready to spawn?
i know different species are different, i have heard ocellaris female usually take 2 years to mature, while percula/picassos usually 2.5~3 years and blackwhite 3~4 years?
im not sure if these are right? if anyone has any information, or known where i can find some data, please help me out here.
thanks!!!

superfish
Re:different clown species female breeding age info??? - Thursday, November 6, 2014 4:04 PM
my main concern is for the blackwhites, i have a pair of  bw x black snowflake which i got around a year ago, i would say they are 2 years old now. if what i heard was right, its gonna take 2 more years before they start spawning. than it makes feel hopeless...

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:different clown species female breeding age info??? - Thursday, November 6, 2014 6:28 PM
I've always started my pairs with an older female and that has worked pretty well. Males mature much quicker than females. Your age estimates above are pretty good but unless you know exactly how old a fish is it's hard to judge.
I would suggest finding the largest fish you can and pair it with a smaller one.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

superfish
Re:different clown species female breeding age info??? - Friday, November 7, 2014 11:59 AM
thanks for the suggestion Fishtal. last year i paired a 8 month snowflake with a larger ocellaris female and they started breeding within 4 weeks. that worked pretty good~ but if i want to get something cool, a "larger/older" designer clowns are really hard to find.
i read some of the documents on the site, and found someone said his BW started breeding with age about 2.5 years. what do u think about that? if it is true. my black snow pair may start to breed soon~