Mean Female Black Ocellaris

president89
  • Total Posts : 224
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 222
Mean Female Black Ocellaris - Monday, November 17, 2014 6:33 PM
Hi. One of my breeding pairs Black Ocellaris male died a few weeks ago. I wanted to pair up the female again so I bought her a picasso mate. She beat the hell out of him. At first I thought maybe the picasso was a female, and wasn't submitting, So I tossed it/her/she in my fuge. I then decided to take a fish that was tiny and thought to be a male in there - a fancy snowflake. She's kicking his butt. Do females who lose their mates prove difficult to accept a new mate? Am I making it more difficult by using a different color Ocellaris?
I even tried seperating with a lighting grid for a few days to see if she'd get used to him. No dice. She's trying to rip his fins off. The only thing I can think to do would be to grab a small black Ocellaris and try that. Any suggestions? I'm going to go save this fish.

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Mean Female Black Ocellaris - Monday, November 17, 2014 7:10 PM
It can be a touchy process. I recently added a very small picasso to a widowed male (3-4 months alone in the tank). I added the picasso to a breeder net for a couple days. When I released him the other onyx, potentially a female depending upon if a second fish is required as a biological cue for the conversion, chased it non-stop and literally drug it around the tank by its tail. I would put it back in the net and repeat each day. Eventually the severe aggression stopped and it would just be chased but not really bitten. I decided to give it some safe houses and leaned small ceramic frag tiles in all 4 corners of the tank. The tiny guy could get behind them but not the large onyx. After about 3-4 weeks of living hidden behind a tile coming out only on occasion when the larger fish was not near they bonded and are living peacefully now.

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1044
Re:Mean Female Black Ocellaris - Monday, November 17, 2014 8:08 PM
Females can be rough on new comers. Try keeping them separated but still visible longer. After a couple weeks of them being able to see each other but not bite each other try mixing them. If it doesn't work then try switching the fish so that the small one can get used to the tank without the female and then after a week add the female back in. If she is being really rough it can take a while. If you have a different tank set up you could try introducing them in that.

president89
Re:Mean Female Black Ocellaris - Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:41 PM
I got some interesting feedback from reefcentral. http://www.reefcentral.co...wthread.php?p=23266481

Users are saying put the female in the breeder net and starve for a few days then introduce. Makes sense since she'll be out of sorts being re-introduced. Sounds plausible. I hardly think no feeding for 3 days is starving. I had a clown once serving on once a week feedings and almost no water changes during a busy time of life.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Mean Female Black Ocellaris - Tuesday, November 18, 2014 5:05 PM
When I had a female beat up on a male I removed her while he healed up. After he was better I returned the female to the tank and they were fine. I feel that giving the male the home court advantage can be helpful in cases like this.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

president89
Re:Mean Female Black Ocellaris - Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:43 PM
Went out and bought a couple new males, put the females in breeder boxes and we'll see what happens. Amazingly enough, the females are just looking at the males through the glass. Interesting. They aren't even attacking each other - female/female which are side. The tape is to hold those lids on, and to block the females from seeing each other.

president89
Re:Mean Female Black Ocellaris - Friday, November 21, 2014 11:06 AM
Putting the female by themselves in the breeding box solved the problem. I introduced the females to the males 48 hours later, and no aggression. I'm monitoring closely.

president89
Re:Mean Female Black Ocellaris - Thursday, December 25, 2014 11:47 PM
Black Ocellaris is spawning for the 2nd time since OP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhxi_G8e2RA

ray2111
  • Total Posts : 148
  • Reward points : 332
Re:Mean Female Black Ocellaris - Friday, December 26, 2014 12:05 AM
I did exactly what fishtal said when pairing all my clowns except for my maroons. It has worked out well for me. Nice looking pair!