Culture Journal, Species: L Strain Rotifer (Brachionus plicatilis)

kizanne
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 64
Culture Journal, Species: L Strain Rotifer (Brachionus plicatilis) - Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:59 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Brachionus plicatilis
Species description:  Large Strain Rotifer commonly available
Culture source (link if possible): http://florida-aqua-farms.com/
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  9/ 24/ 2014
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:   1.023  varies
Temperature:    room temperature
pH:   8  varies

Vessel description:  2.5 gallon drinking water container, 65 gallon waste tank, backup cup
Lighting description:   ambient from algae fluorescent strips
Lighting cycle:  14-16 hours a day
Aeration description:  light bubbles, heavy aeration, none (in order of vessel listed above)

Methodologies
Split methodology:  right now not splitting, harvesting and feeding excess to tank.

Culture medium description:  Main culture, cup backup is fed RGComplete 2x daily.  65 gallon is a live nanno co-culture (newly started)

Cell count: Not currently known.

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

kizanne
Re:Culture Journal, Species: L Strain Rotifer (Brachionus plicatilis) - Tuesday, December 30, 2014 3:03 PM

kizanne
Re:Culture Journal, Species: L Strain Rotifer (Brachionus plicatilis) - Tuesday, December 30, 2014 3:18 PM
Note the 65 gallon tank is my attempt to establish a low density self perpetuating culture.  If I can keep the density low then the nanno should be able to keep up production and feed the culture.  Eventually this will become my model for a larva rearing tank with constant baby rotifers available with the nanno providing nutrient uptake (hopefully). I have heard it can't be done but that won't stop me from trying.  I would eventually also do additions of other algae like T-Iso when I get larva to improve the nutritional profile. Even though the T-Iso won't co-culture with it in the water the rotifers would still uptake the algae.

kizanne
Re:Culture Journal, Species: L Strain Rotifer (Brachionus plicatilis) - Tuesday, December 30, 2014 6:35 PM
Picture of the coffee filter I use