Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus

kizanne
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 64
Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:15 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Synchiropus Splendidus
Social Structure:  Bonded Pair
Size of Individuals:  Female 2", Male 2.5-3"
Age of Individuals:  unknown
Date added to Tank:  Obtained Nov. 7th, tank Nov. 28th

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  125 Gallons
Substrate Details:  sand bed
Filtration Details:  sandbed, live rock, overflow, tunze skimmer, refugium with Chaeto and Caulerpa
Water Changes:  infrequent
Water Temperature:  76 degrees F
Lighting:  2 - 300 Watt LED's (China knockoff, white and blue seperate channels)
Lighting Cycle:  14 hours
Other Tank Inhabitants:  2 yellow tangs, 3 CB sharknose gobies, 2 CB skunk clowns (pair), six line wrasse, 4 CB bangaai, 4 peppermint shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 black urchins, various live rock inhabitants

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  live brine, frozen brine, frozen fish eggs (they don't like), bloodworms, L strain rotifers, copepods from tank, amphipods from tank
Feeding Schedule:  2x daily, started shrimp feeder on 12/31

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  1/22/2015
Spawn Time of Day:  about 10 pm
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size:  1 mm?
Egg Color:  white
Egg Count:  40-60

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description:   
Consecutive Hatch Dates:     

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
Obtained this pair from Blue Zoo came fairly healthy didn't want to eat.  He acted like he wanted to spawn out of the bag.  Because they weren't eating frozen captured and put in breeders net until they at least at some frozen foods (10 days).  Shortly after getting them to eat had white patches and some weight loss.  Started by pulling all DT fish to a seperate 65 gallon and using low salinity with daily vaccum to combat ich.  Now believe it wasn't ich but flukes.  Treated DT and fish with Prazipro bath and obtained live brine did prazipro gut load feedings.  Shortly after the prazipro (1st course) eating improved again and girl appeared gravid.

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by kizanne on Friday, January 23, 2015 8:24 AM>

kizanne
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Wednesday, December 31, 2014 8:27 PM
I expected to have to wait 6 months to a year for any spawn activity when I purchased this pair.  I believe today the girl is gravid as her belly is much larger today than yesterday.

Here's a picture, Let me know what you think.

Bad Angle or Gravid?

Burrito Grande or Eggers?  

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Wednesday, December 31, 2014 10:00 PM
Can it be both?  She looks like she swallowed a tootsie roll - usually a good sign!

kizanne
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Wednesday, December 31, 2014 10:17 PM
I'm really jazzed but I don't think it is going to happen tonight.  Maybe tomorrow. Hope I catch them at it.

kizanne
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Wednesday, December 31, 2014 10:19 PM
I have some L-strain rots and some copepods (but not nearly enough pods).  If they spawn I might have to break down and overnight some from reed or something.  I have a small Iso culture going now, don't know if it will be enough to keep parvo alive.  Wanted to get some ss strain rots but haven't been able to find them.

I have ascending....  They seem to be having trouble with the timing.  So at least I know it was Gravid and not the burrito I put in the tank.  
<message edited by kizanne on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 11:20 PM>

kizanne
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Wednesday, December 31, 2014 11:12 PM
We have ascending swimming side by side started around 11.  Have to have the lights out so I can't get a good picture but hopefully I can provide a picture of some eggs!!!!!  I can't tell if they have released any.

kizanne
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Thursday, January 1, 2015 12:02 AM
I think I ruined it.  I started to see the cardinals alittle too interested in the area and didn't see the mandarins so I thought I might be missing eggs.  I went over with a flash light and they broke and bolted, didn't see any eggs.  They are now resting on a rock one on top the other but appear to be done.

Weird I still see a little to much interest in the area.  Maybe I need reading glasses to see the eggs.  Hopefully they will pick up tomorrow.

kizanne
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Thursday, January 1, 2015 11:58 PM
Well Update.  I decided to turn the lights off early so that I could hopefully get them to spawn sooner tonight. Not looking forward to midnight again.  Well the girl went over to their spot and he stood her up for almost 2 hours.  He finally went over there and they sat on a rock beside each other.  I turned the pump on for about 10 minutes to oxygenate the water since it had been off for a long time.  They bolted when I did that.  After turning back on she went back and he didn't.  So maybe I ruined it a second time.  I'm not sure he is in good shape to spawn.  When they were in the breeders net he was eating frozen.  When I let him out he didn't eat frozen for a while, we then had a round of flukes which took me two weeks to figure out, he had them bad.  I just did a round of Prazipro and he started eating frozen again.  I have often fed live brine but he is an inept hunter (he has trouble catching the frozen brine).  I'm working on a mandarin feeding station but so far only the banggai and wrasse seem to enjoy it.  I have 3 more days til I have to be back at work so hopefully they will at least spawn before then.  I also need to redose the prazipro as a precaution so that might not do well for the eggs either.  Monday I'll order another round of adult live brine so I can gut load Metro to rule out other intestinal parasites.  I don't have a 'display' reef tank but it does have things that would be effected by dosing the tank with metro.  The prazi seems to have impacted the barnicles (killed some), the zoos (more closed), gonipora (less extension), and the filter feeding cucumber,  Hopefully tomorrow night I can go down the rabbit hole with some eggs.  Still trying to find SS rotifers.  One of my Iso cultures got a case of the rotifer so I need to split the other one as a back up.

kizanne
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Saturday, January 17, 2015 10:49 PM
Update: Ascending has resumed.  So hopefully I'll get some eggs.

kizanne
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Friday, January 23, 2015 8:28 AM
Last night I got eggs.  I don't think they are fertile but I have them in a separate container for hatching just in case.  One is kind of weirdly segmented the others are clear with a round 'center'

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Friday, January 23, 2015 1:32 PM
Awesome!  Persistence pays off

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:27 PM
Segmentation looks like a blastula.

Jake
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points : 140
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Sunday, February 22, 2015 10:02 AM
Its a great start, myself I would give them their own tank, a 29High with live rock and some smaller rock corals, some snails, and a lot of
live food. That's pretty much my game plan. These little guys are in my favorites for sure.
Jake
We are all in this together

kizanne
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Friday, May 22, 2015 1:10 PM
I'm so glad I came back to this old thread.  They have only spawned (that I caught them) twice and I was beginning to think the eggs were infertile but that picture is exactly what 45 minutes to 1.5 hours looks like (I now know this because my Ruby Reds are spawning).  Since they haven't been spawning and the female ignores the male (even though she is gravid) I figured he might not be up to snuff and Julian Sprung said maybe he wasn't fertile.  Well that picture above is fertile so I'll have to go back to the drawing board and try to up his nutrition and maybe switch tanks.  She still gets/stays gravid regular so she is finding enough.  With summer here it should be easier for me to get back to this.  I have some Ruby Reds spawning 2-4 times weekly now that I'm playing with and larvae have reached 7 days  post hatch.

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Reward points : 880
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Friday, May 22, 2015 1:21 PM
I'm looking forward to following your progress with the Ruby Reds. I have a pair in their own tank, together for about 3 months now. I haven't seen any love between the two though. That said, they are in the back of my fish room and I'm usually not in their around lights out time. Anxious to see your progress with the larvae!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Friday, May 22, 2015 8:20 PM
I'm currently conditioning both rubies and spotted mandarins as well as quite possibly purchasing spawning splendidus in the near future. I plan to really dedicate the summer to dragonet breeding so I'm looking forward to comparing notes.

Derwins
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Reward points : 236
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus Splendidus - Saturday, May 23, 2015 2:06 AM
Cool...
I already bred the picturatus , and the splendidus ...but i'm still looping for à red ruby pair ..
Not easy to find à pair here in france.

For your attemps...ome3..eha and dha are the way and from my test, a 2-5% phyto si the best way to do .
tu quoqué mi filii ........argggghh !!