Culture Journal, Species: T. californicus

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Culture Journal, Species: T. californicus - Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:51 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  T. californicus
Species description:  Tigger Pods 
Culture source (link if possible):  Nutramar tigrio   www.nutramar.com
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  Jan 22, 2015
Continuation Date:  Oct 20, 2015

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.020-26
Temperature:    66-70
pH:  Unknown

Vessel description:  5G Bucket
Lighting description:  Ambient room light
Lighting cycle: 
Aeration description:  none

Methodologies
Split methodology:
Just poured half into a different bucket, topped off water with tap water.

Culture medium description: 
Leftover tank water to start, then topped off with fresh tap water.           

Cell count:
   N/A           

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
These guys are bulletproof.  Leaving them alone seems to work just fine.  I'll be ramping up a bigger selection to start feeding the broodstock, but those will be enriched much better than the trial run over the past nine months.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by Arc Katana on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 8:26 PM>

Arc Katana
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Thursday, January 22, 2015 1:54 PM

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:39 PM
T. californicus FWIW.

Arc Katana
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:08 PM
Thanks Gresh - was just going to use the label since I'm not Tigger savy.

Arc Katana
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, January 23, 2015 1:53 PM
So trying something different out.  After seeing for the past couple of years how Tal's tiggers do great being outside (And I can't wait to get a tub set up on my deck this year once it warms up!), I tossed in a couple of leaves and a couple of fish food pellets.  I can see them on the sides and bottom of the bucket, so they are still alive.

I also added an extra LED fixture to the bucket for now, to see if that helps get any kind of marine algae growing in there.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, January 23, 2015 5:07 PM
None of my outdoor tubs seemed to produce any type of phyto, or green water. The water stays clear until things get funky over the winter. On the other hand, I do get copious amounts of two types of enteromorpha, macro-algae, that just springs up out of nowhere after a few weeks. This algae has never grown well for me inside.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

GreshamH
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, January 23, 2015 6:28 PM
Tal... FWIW
Enteromorpha 
 Ulva and Enteromorpha are not distinct genera. in Eur. J. Phycol (August 2003) 38: 277-293.
http://www.mbari.org/staff/conn/botany/greens/ram/morphology.htm

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Friday, January 23, 2015 10:47 PM
Quote Originally Posted by GreshamH

Tal... FWIW
Enteromorpha 
 Ulva and Enteromorpha are not distinct genera. in Eur. J. Phycol (August 2003) 38: 277-293.
http://www.mbari.org/staff/conn/botany/greens/ram/morphology.htm

You're the one that ID'd it for me.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

GreshamH
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Monday, January 26, 2015 6:48 PM
Right... but I was unaware of the reclassification at the time, even though it was YEARS ago

Arc Katana
Re:Culture Journal, Species: [Insert Species Name Here] - Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:47 PM
So I forgot that I even started this journal till I was cleaning the jar out.  Taken today, zero water changes (just top off with fresh) and every now and then throwing pellets in.   From moving and spilling, these guys will just not die.