Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 1855
Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:42 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Euterpina acutifrons
Species description:  Harpacticoida
Culture source (link if possible):  (MBI Conference - T. Weiss)
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  7/24/14
Continuation Date:  2/8/15

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.024
Temperature:    Ambient Room Temp (70°F-78°F in summer, 60°F-70°F in winter)
pH:  Not tested

Vessel description:  2L clear plastic container with screw on lid. Hole drilled in lid to snugly fit a rigid airline
Lighting description:  Single T8 bulb under-cabinet lighting fixture.
Lighting cycle:  Semi-direct light from phyto culture fixture.  18 on, 6 off. Off is in the afternoon to reduce temp during the warmest part of day (summer and winter) to keep a more consistent temperature.
Aeration description:  1 bubble per second max.  Just enough to move the water to keep the copepod in suspension.  Copepods can be seen moving against the flow but upon resting the move with it.

Methodologies
Split methodology: Culture is poured through a 23micron sieve to remove all copepods.  They are then backwashed into a container with fresh ASW.

Culture medium description:   2l of ASW sterilized with chlorine at .8ml/2l , allowed to sit for 24hrs and then neutralized with equal parts sodium thiosulfate.  Enough Tet algae is added once per week to tint the water a light green.

Cell count: Not counted
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes:  I have not really cultured these for use so everything was minimalized after the initial ramp in order to simply maintain 2 cultures.

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

waldend
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:44 AM
Here is a picture of the container.   I have it on the shelf with the phyto cultures so it does get more direct light than my other copepod cultures. 

<message edited by waldend on Monday, February 16, 2015 2:29 PM>

waldend
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:53 AM
As I haven't needed these to feed anything my intent was more geared to just "maintain" the cultures.  After an initial ramp with heavier feeding (as soon as the water was cleared) I split the culture into a second vessel.  I did this by simply pouring half off and filling both with sterilized ASW.  At that point I put them on the shelf by the phyto cultures.  I have done I believe 2 water changes since then of ~75% in each culture.  The cultures appear clear and clean and the population stays steady.  I can see a mixture of sizes in the population.  I add enough Tet every 7-10 days to tint the water a light, but clearly noticeable from 10ft, green.  The water will clear as the algae is consumed.  I do need to get these ramped up more though for the experience so I will begin that with 1 culture soon. 

waldend
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:58 AM
Below is documentation for reports.  I am seeing that my videos lose resolution in conversion from AVI on pc to mp4 in photobucket and then the frame grabs for pictures from the AVI lose resolution in the program that I am using.  They aren't the greatest I know but I am using the Celestron Amoeba so my max resultion is 1280x1024 and I am seeing my bottom lighting needs to be brighter. 

Picture of a female.

Video for continuation:
I can't get this to work. So here is link.
http://i836.photobucket.c...20Full_zpswra1a6ev.mp4
 My video from Tet works fine.  For reference the working Tet and not working Euterpina video code is below minus the [ to open so it shows as text instead of video (or red x).
IMG]http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz281/Waldend/Euterpina%20Full_zpswra1a6ev.mp4[/IMG]
IMG]http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz281/Waldend/th_Tet_zpsc0xrg1xp.mp4[/IMG]

<message edited by waldend on Thursday, February 12, 2015 11:49 AM>