Culture Journal, Species: Tisbe biminiensis

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 1855
Culture Journal, Species: Tisbe biminiensis - Friday, February 13, 2015 2:32 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Tisbe biminiensis
Species description:  benthic copepod
Culture source (link if possible):  Algagen
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  11/8/14
Continuation Date:  2/8/15

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.024
Temperature:    Ambient Room Temp (70°F-78°F in summer, 60°F-70°F in winter)
pH:  Not tested

Vessel description:  ~ 1 gallon plastic square footprint container 2x height to width ratio with large diameter screw on lid.
Lighting description:  Ambient room lighting with slight illumination from nearby phyto cultures
Lighting cycle:  24 hour ambient (light fixture for phyto in room at night)
Aeration description:  None

Methodologies
Split methodology: To date has been pouring 50% of culture into a new contanier and filling both containers with sterilized ASW.  Future splits will be as needed to maintain proper density or as required for feeding and will be done by sieveing through 23micron mesh. 

Culture medium description:   1G of ASW sterilized with chlorine at 1.0ml/G , allowed to sit for 24hrs and then neutralized with equal parts sodium thiosulfate.

Cell count:  Not counted
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

I started with a very small culture of these and have been conservatively ramping them up. I did perform one significant harvest to help a friend with a mandarin where I took 75% of all I had and so I almost started from scratch again. Interesting thing - during that harvest I sieved using my 55micron rotifer sieve and caught the water in an old gallon ice cream bucket. That sieve is small and I ran it over slightly a couple times resulting in a few adults reaching the bucket. I did look in the bucket to see how many I lost and it was only a small few. I left the bucket sit since I knew it had some in it and added a little ground up (between fingers) flake food. Life got busy and it was off to the side so I didn't give it a lot of thought (or any actually). A week later when I happen to look in it the population had exploded. There must have been lots of nauplii in the bucket that I didn't see. This culture had higher numbers than my 2 official cultures and they seemed to be spaced much more evenly throughout the bucket than my other cultures. The other the copepods were all typically on the bottom or side walls, as I expected. This observance has sparked an interest for me in seeing if I can reproduce this and if so, what is the key. It is volume to surface area, color of container, no predation (if that even occurs)?

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by waldend on Friday, February 13, 2015 3:29 PM>

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Tisbe biminiensis - Friday, February 13, 2015 2:46 PM
Picture of culture and vessel:

Picture of an adult top:

Picture of an adult side:

Continuation Video:

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz281/Waldend/Fish/Tisbe%20Full_zps1i0t3kkb.mp4
[video][/video]
<message edited by waldend on Monday, February 16, 2015 2:34 PM>