video clips from several batches of developing larvae

hystrix
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 287
video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Sunday, March 1, 2015 3:17 PM
I am not sure of the species yet.  Eggs were collected from a large mixed indo-pacific system.  They are genus Pomacanthus.  Correction to list of potential fish
We have pairs of annualris, semicirculatus, , maculosus and  xanthometopon.
We have only one asfur and one imperator in the exhibit.
http://youtu.be/-X2SUXtQ2AA
http://youtu.be/FSws-0AI5SQ
http://youtu.be/sLGa-yBNjtk  correction on date should be 2-14-15
http://youtu.be/3EyNy5wEIYs
<message edited by hystrix on Sunday, March 22, 2015 10:56 AM>

ray2111
  • Total Posts : 148
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 332
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Sunday, March 1, 2015 3:31 PM
That's awesome.

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 880
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Sunday, March 1, 2015 7:18 PM
Wow, incredible videos. Really cool to see the development in that video series. They really have some fat bellies! How big are those PVC pieces, to get a rough idea how large those fry are?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Sunday, March 1, 2015 11:10 PM
Absolutely amazing work. Please post videos of the parental system and info on first foods etc.

Great work!!!

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 549
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Monday, March 2, 2015 12:44 AM
Beautiful videos and you have a lot of juveniles that have pulled through to 45 days so far.  Way to go.

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Monday, March 2, 2015 9:28 AM
The 45dph fish are around 1cm length, 1/2 to 3/4 in height.  first foods were parvo nauplii.  Larval systems around 13gal brt.  Tanks had algae dripped into them for turbidity and feed any copepods left after feeding.  Adult system is 100K  mixed species aritificial reef.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:52 AM
This is amazing! how did you get those pictures? Underwater camera?
Amazing numbers of captive bred angels! And in a 13 gallon BRT! My mouth hangs open!
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 735
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:10 AM
Wow, awesome!!!  Have you been working with them long or is this your first go?
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

Jake
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points : 140
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 10:34 AM
This is awesome !  Are the brts in circulating line with the main system?

Where are you located if I may ask?
We'd like a lot more information, on the systems, and for me especially the feeding.

Jake
We are all in this together

KathyL
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 11:03 AM
please start a journal on these. Very exciting. I am making room for angels!

Jake
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:28 PM
You said what I was just going to edit into my post.

I also am going to set up for some Centropyge. 
Jake

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 5:34 PM
http://youtu.be/fg8emVAKOnU this batch has a total of 85 fish out of one brt
2 larval tanks are inline with a larger system.  I actually just moved these guys from the brt to this holding tank on the same filtration.
located Columbus Ohio
<message edited by hystrix on Tuesday, March 3, 2015 5:52 PM>

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 5:59 PM
different batch to show the air ring around the bulkhead drain screen in the center of the brt. 
http://youtu.be/hSBeljmlo8w

Lrood
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 7:49 PM
Interesting use of the air ring. It also looks to provide great flow in there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

KathyL
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:28 PM
you must have an underwater camera or something___

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:45 PM
Hi KathyL yes all videos are shot with a gopro3. Most shots are also filmed through a macro lens attachment by backscatter.

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:52 PM

Jake
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Wednesday, March 4, 2015 7:03 AM
Are you affiliated with the Aquarium at the Zoo?

This is all very impressive, and very professionally done.

That is a much stronger air and water movement then I would have tried, but, on thinking it over its what would be natural for pelagic fry, and naups.
Jake

KathyL
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Wednesday, March 4, 2015 7:13 AM
OMG, I have to get one! I love the lockline flashlight setup!

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Wednesday, March 4, 2015 7:59 AM
Yes Jake.
The air might of been a bit much. Taking these videos have helped me get a fish perspective to help me adjust conditions.  That air flow doesn't look as turbulent topside.
Kathy the flashlight is actually a scuba dive light with a wide beam spread of the light.  Whatever light you use. make sure it is wide spread and not a spot light.  You will avoid getting burnt out spots in your shots.

Jake
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Wednesday, March 4, 2015 8:10 AM
Well your results are the proof, from here on I think its just tweaking your protocol.  I have seen a lot more turbulence snorkeling in the Philippines, the advantage to the turbulence is food is kept in the water column. I wouldn't have used that much, but I think its safer to err on the more then the less.  Time will tell. I love your light and camera set up,  I am tech challenged, and this is so superior to  anything I have seen its  something we should all emulate. Recording the hatch and development so well is a huge blessing to more knowledge of the species.
Jake

Lrood
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Wednesday, March 4, 2015 8:17 AM
Very nice (& creative with the lockline) camera setup. I have a simple Kodak Playsport video camera that I have often thought of dropping in my tank for fun. I think later today I'll see what the reef tank looks like from the perspective of my fish!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Wednesday, March 4, 2015 11:24 PM
Fantastic job...so I take it you're leveraging the earlier Rising Tide successes back up there now?!  SWEET.  Really gives me hope.  I presume for algae you're doing live, and probably T-Iso?

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:11 AM
Well I didn't have to leverage. While we were sending eggs down to TAL. I was attempting to raise the larvae in house. When they raised the first batch of angelfish from us. I was successful raising our first batch of angelfish in plastic pretzel jars. Since then we have actual systems to attempt rearing larvae. We have also participated in another project call IMLS 21st Century Museum Professionals fish rearing project with Roger Williams University, Institute of Museum and Library Services and New England Aquarium. We are still sending eggs down to Florida.
I am using live nannochloropsis and isocrysis to add turbidity to the larval tanks as well as feed my live foods(parvo. copepods and rotifers). When I need to I will use concentrated nanno from reeds mariculture as a substitute to adding turbidity to the larval tanks.  I prefer to use the live cultured algae but it is a good substitute when needed.
<message edited by hystrix on Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:01 AM>

Lrood
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:07 AM
Can you describe what kind of egg collection system are you using? For quite a while I have been trying unsuccessfully to collect eggs from my coral beauty pair. They are in a mixed reef display tank. I haven't yet come up with good system short of completely rebuilding the overflow to be redirected to some device that will allow the eggs to accumulate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:11 AM
I will have to take some pictures but a simple egg collector for broadcast spawners is a basic air lift collector.  You can make whatever size fits your needs/tank
You have a collection container (plastic critter keeper, bucket, tote, etc.) that has sections cut out of the sides.  You then glue (hot glue, super glue, silicone) micron screen to allow water to flow in and out of the container (the screen is really there to allow water to flow out and trap the eggs in the container).  We use 250 mic and 400 mic screen to collect eggs. 
The bottom of your container will have a bulkhead in which you will have pipe inside the container and pipe running on the outside of the container to just under the surface of the water.  Stick an airline down to the bottom of the inside pipe and adjust the air flow to get a nice consistent pull of water from the outside pipe.  The air lift skims the water surface, pulling in the floating eggs.

KathyL
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:13 PM
I'm interested in the pretzel jar raising of angels.  Please tell us more!

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:27 PM
Hi Kathy, here is a quick rundown of how we were able to raise angels pretzel jars. FYI this happened in 2012 and 2013
a few ml of eggs were placed in the jars
they hatched out the next day. at this time live nanno was added to make them hazy.
dead eggs were siphoned off the bottom with rigid air line attached to flexible line.
parvo. pods were added the next day. 
on a daily basis the jars would be checked. greened up with algae if needed and fed pods if need. This was all done by personal observation and what I thought was needed. co-workers covered my days off.
every other day/as needed the bottom of the jars would be siphoned. (approx. 1-2liters)
We raised up a few dozen with this method of keeping things basic.
Keep it simple stupid method.  It was by no means ideal but it worked to an extent.
The pics are labeled 
https://www.dropbox.com/s...66lp7uxFWznO3S8da?dl=0

KathyL
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:00 PM
THAT IS AMAZING! People with 100 gallon tubs, failing to raise angels,  will be so mad when they see this.

Thanks so much for sharing! You should write an article for a magazine or something.

Lrood
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Friday, March 13, 2015 8:30 AM
I love it! Large volumes have always been touted for stability of conditions, but I've had my best successes using 2 gallon kriesels. With a little bit of attention the conditions can be maintained fairly easily. Excellent work, and I agree with Kathy, there is a nice article in this!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Jake
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Tuesday, March 17, 2015 9:54 AM
Quote Originally Posted by hystrix

I will have to take some pictures but a simple egg collector for broadcast spawners is a basic air lift collector.  You can make whatever size fits your needs/tank
You have a collection container (plastic critter keeper, bucket, tote, etc.) that has sections cut out of the sides.  You then glue (hot glue, super glue, silicone) micron screen to allow water to flow in and out of the container (the screen is really there to allow water to flow out and trap the eggs in the container).  We use 250 mic and 400 mic screen to collect eggs. 
The bottom of your container will have a bulkhead in which you will have pipe inside the container and pipe running on the outside of the container to just under the surface of the water.  Stick an airline down to the bottom of the inside pipe and adjust the air flow to get a nice consistent pull of water from the outside pipe.  The air lift skims the water surface, pulling in the floating eggs.

Reading this I am picturing an overflow return box, with an addition to the front that has the screen to the overflow box , with the eggs remaining in the addition.

Its worth trying to make up a couple. Thanks. Comments welcome.
Jake

Lrood
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:47 PM
Any updates? Curious to see how long they take to settle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:23 PM

Well I didn't have to leverage. While we were sending eggs down to TAL. I was attempting to raise the larvae in house. When they raised the first batch of angelfish from us. I was successful raising our first batch of angelfish in plastic pretzel jars. Since then we have actual systems to attempt rearing larvae. We have also participated in another project call IMLS 21st Century Museum Professionals fish rearing project with Roger Williams University, Institute of Museum and Library Services and New England Aquarium. We are still sending eggs down to Florida.
I am using live nannochloropsis and isocrysis to add turbidity to the larval tanks as well as feed my live foods(parvo. copepods and rotifers). When I need to I will use concentrated nanno from reed mariculture as a substitute to adding turbidity to the larval tanks.  I prefer to use the live cultured algae but it is a good substitute when needed.

Caught the presentation last year at RAW.  I mentioned it to numerous people at the MBI Conference last year.  I asked a few questions in the Q&A afterwords and the answers were nothing less then awesome.

not a direct quote, but the general gist is there...
Q: At what density did you.. blah blah blah
A:  Pretty dense, don't really know

After having logging and counting pounded into me for over a decade, that was a refreshing answer

Gresham Hendee
Reed Mariculture

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Friday, March 20, 2015 9:05 PM
small version made from a plastic critter keeper, minus the outside pvc that goes just under the water surface

Attached Image(s)

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Friday, March 20, 2015 9:07 PM
inside lift tube, minus the air line bubbling to pull the water and eggs into container.
Attached Image(s)

hystrix
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Friday, March 20, 2015 9:08 PM
larger rubbermaid tote version 
Attached Image(s)

Jake
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Saturday, March 21, 2015 6:46 AM

inside lift tube, minus the air line bubbling to pull the water and eggs into container.

Thanks, simpler then I'd thought, I really like it.

Jake

Lrood
Re:video clips from several batches of developing larvae - Saturday, March 21, 2015 10:51 AM
Appreciate those pics. I think I can fashion a small version that will work in my 125g.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken