WTB Designer Clownfish Breeding Pair

roczero
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 124
WTB Designer Clownfish Breeding Pair - Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:21 PM
I am getting little bored  and would like to switch it up a little.  I would love to buy a breeding pair of something out of the ordinary.  A pair of the white varieties or black designer varieties, or something else cool.  I have only played with Perc and Ocy in the past but it might be fun to try Maroon or Clarkii or something.  Let me know.  

roczero
Re:WTB Designer Clownfish Breeding Pair - Monday, March 30, 2015 1:12 PM
Nobody has anything cool they would sell me?

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:WTB Designer Clownfish Breeding Pair - Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:50 AM
I can't speak for all the breeders here, but if I were to take a guess, most of the breeders involved in the MBI tend to hold onto their pairs.

I will offer some advice; certain types of "designers" are easily obtained, but so are actively spawning or otherwise "mature" normal fish.  I've noticed a lot of the breeders that DO shuffle fish around all the time will simply go out in search of large, old specimens of a species they're interested in, say, Gold Stripe Maroons.  Go find yourself a big old nasty GSM that someone has been wanting to part with, and then pair it with something like a very young gold nugget or maybe a gold flake. The fish should form a pretty ready pair, and all that may be required is some good TLC and maybe, maybe, a "double down" to kick start spawning behavior using the eggs of one of your existing pairs...

For that matter, you can always look at splitting up your existing pairs; you mentioned you have Percs and Occellaris actively spawning?  Swap out the males for young versions; eg. you could use a young Davinci to pair with a spawning female Ocellaris...maybe take your male Ocellaris and get a Snowflake or a Frostbite and pair those up...and in short order you'll have some new diversity in your offspring.  For Percs, the simple and obvious answer would be Picasso, but you might also try to hunt down some of the Addison's Quest, which may in fact be a new gene.  Or Nebula (Which may be a variation of the Picasso gene or not...no one really knows yet).

In short, there are more ways to go about making new pairs without simply paying top dollar for an actively spawning designer pair. 

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:WTB Designer Clownfish Breeding Pair - Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:52 AM
Wait....why are you asking to buy designer pairs saying you're bored, and yet I go look over here and you're selling a designer pair? - http://www.mbisite.org/Fo...aspx?m=93877&high=

Confused.... 

EasterEggs
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Reward points : 735
Re:WTB Designer Clownfish Breeding Pair - Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:18 AM
Well, he only mentioned Maroon and Clarkii, so maybe he wants designer Maroon and Clarkii, not designer Ocellaris and Percula.  Clear as mud.  haha.

FWIW, I've done the same as Matt suggests...look for a large female and pair it up with a juvenile designer.
Don't let fear and common sense stop you! =]

roczero
Re:WTB Designer Clownfish Breeding Pair - Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:25 PM
Thanks Matt.  Good advise.  Oh yeah, playing around and mixing and matching is fun. Its just the time factor I guess.  But you are right, just pairing a younger male with a mature female will eventually do the trick.  

Like I said in the post, I thought would sell that Black Ice pair because I was ready to switch it up a little and see what kind of fun I can have with some new challenges with different species and different color patterns.  Have even been doing some searching on other families of fish completely. I am going to have some reading to do if I want to try my hand at some Angels like you guys and girls =).   

Thanks for the ideas on the other types to hunt down and see what happens.  I would be interested to pick your brain about some other potential eugenic combinations.  You certainly know more than I do about it.