Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Reward points : 880
Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Sunday, March 15, 2015 1:58 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:Euterpina acutifrons
Species description:  harpacticoid copepod
Culture source (link if possible):fellow hobbyist (Waldend)
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:3/15/15
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.025
Temperature:    Ambient room temp, about 70 in winter, 73-74 summer
pH:  Not directly measured, but NSW is approx 8.1-8.2

Vessel description:  1 liter clear square plastic bottle
Lighting description:  Indirect lighting from adjacent frag tank & QT tank
Lighting cycle:  12 hrs on, 12 hrs off
Aeration description:  None

Methodologies
Split methodology:

Culture medium description:  NSW (Instant Ocean or Reef Crystals) prepared at 1.025 SG, aged at least 24 hrs. Live tetraselmis added to provide minimal green tint.

Cell count:
 (if known) Not measured

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.
<message edited by Lrood on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:00 PM>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Lrood
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 6:34 PM
A pic of one of the adults, killed with a drop of bleach. 40x mag. They seem to be quite a bit smaller than the Tisbe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Lrood
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Thursday, October 22, 2015 5:26 PM
Thought I should give a brief update.  This culture has received minimal attention since starting it.  I have split it maybe 4 or 5 times, add some new salt water after the split.   I have added some live tetraselmis at random intervals (probably every 2-3 weeks on average).  I recently thought it was dead (so it appeared when I would glance at it in the corner of my fish room).  Today I took the bottle out and examined it with a flashlight through the side & found it teeming with pods.  Under the scope there were tons of adults and naups.  So I did a split (sieved off half and added it to my frag tank) and refreshed the culture with NSW and a touch of tet.  Here's a short vid clip:

https://youtu.be/_UFnhUAN8pY

Guess I should file a continuation report....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken