Hatch Day Question

president89
  • Total Posts : 224
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 222
Hatch Day Question - Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:19 PM
Per what I've read is that Ocellaris/Percula clownfish hatch on the 7th or 8th day at 82F. My question is, how do you count? Fish hatch at night, and if the spawn was in the middle of the day, that first day is not really a "DAY" To simplify, if spawning occurs on Tuesday at 4PM. Do you expect your clowns to hatch the following Tuesday night, or is it Wednesday night? I keep taking the eggs out a day early, and I think that's hurting my hatch rate. My eggs seem to have the silvery eyes as soon as Day 6 and on day 7, I get paranoid that I'm going to miss a hatch.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Hatch Day Question - Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:27 PM
Hatch is usually after dark, 7-8 days after the spawn.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

president89
Re:Hatch Day Question - Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:34 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Fishtal

Hatch is usually after dark, 7-8 days after the spawn.

Hey Tal, How do you count the days? Tuesday To Tuesday is 7 or 8 days? I feel like a little kid trying to count on his fingers.

Fishtal
Re:Hatch Day Question - Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:13 PM
If the spawn was today I'd expect the hatch to be next Tues, or Wed, night. Once a pair gets into a steady cycle it becomes easier to predict.

president89
Re:Hatch Day Question - Tuesday, March 17, 2015 9:19 PM
Does adding greenwater and rotifers to the water before the hatch negatively affect it? Sometimes I'm not going to be home the next day due to work, so I proactively put the greenwater and rotifers in the water. THe last two times I did this, I had very little hatch.

Fishtal
Re:Hatch Day Question - Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:32 PM
Quote Originally Posted by president89

Does adding greenwater and rotifers to the water before the hatch negatively affect it? Sometimes I'm not going to be home the next day due to work, so I proactively put the greenwater and rotifers in the water. THe last two times I did this, I had very little hatch.

I often do this for the same reason and haven't noticed any ill effects. Is it possible that you didn't have the aeration in the proper place due to the water being green and you might not have been able to see?

president89
Re:Hatch Day Question - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:49 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Fishtal

Quote Originally Posted by president89

I often do this for the same reason and haven't noticed any ill effects. Is it possible that you didn't have the aeration in the proper place due to the water being green and you might not have been able to see?

It is possible. Do prefer having the bubbles hit the eggs straight on, or have them simply pass by. I've heard different folks say different things.