25% (2)
Other???
  0% (0)

Total Votes: 8

roczero
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 124
Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:16 PM
How do you do it?  Do you remove the rock, tile, or pot and aerate the eggs inside a hatchery tank the day of the hatch?  Or do you let the larva hatch inside the parent tank and capture them after they have begun swimming?

Why do you do it the way you do it?  What are pros and cons?

I have always used a larval snagger and never had much luck trying to remove the pot.

raysaltwaterfish
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 38
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:25 PM
ive done it both ways  ive let them hatch in tank but you spend hours ketching the larva  if your now how many day they take to hatch pull the pot the day before they hatch

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1044
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:30 PM
I done it both ways. If they lay on a pot or tile and I know the days until hatch Ill pull it and save myself the time it takes to watch a snagger. If they lay on a rock or in a hard place to get then ill set up a snagger or scoop them as they hatch. I say do whats working for you. If removing the pot isn't working then most likely its one of two things, your pulling it too early or your not aerating them enough. 

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Thursday, March 19, 2015 12:03 AM
I think I've had better results with hatching off site vs. snagging.

ssabey
  • Total Posts : 188
  • Reward points : 791
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Thursday, March 19, 2015 12:44 AM
I remove the eggs, works in to my schedule better.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:58 AM
I prefer to remove the eggs.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:56 AM
When I can, I like to remove the substrate. I have seen better survival rates when they hatch in the reading vessel. Unfortunately it's not typically possible for me because my breeders are mostly in display tanks.

roczero
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Thursday, March 19, 2015 12:28 PM
Interesting so far.  I would have thought there would be less that remove the substrate.  

The snagger has seemed to work better for me.  The parents take care of the hatch with perfect and consistent water and lighting parameters up until the larva is swimming around.  Basically I just shut down the pumps and an hour or 2 later I hit play on the bubbler.  Before bed I have just about every one of them snagged.  Thats when I fill the hatch tank with the exact same water they are in and move them over in the dark.  Only takes a few minutes to scoop a couple tea pitchers of water and flip a couple switches.  Then I cover the tank so it is completely dark and I go to bed.  I do not tint the water until the next morning.  

How do you guys and gals go about removing the substrate?  You can't expose the eggs to the air correct?  Do you dip an even larger container in the tank and pull it out that way, then add it to the hatch tank that has that much water already in it to submerge the pot?  Does the airstone continue to keep them fungus free like the parents do with the picking and fanning?  I may try and give it another shot and figure out what I was doing wrong.  

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:15 PM
I pick the substrate out and carry it to the other side of the room, and then submerge it in the tank the eggs will hatch in.  Air seems to have no effect.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Windy
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 48
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:31 PM

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:36 PM
Air is a non issue for the transfer; I concur with Kathy.  I also transfer all the spawning substrates for my FW angelfish...most parents will tend through hatch, but not all do, so artificial incubation proved a huge win with Pterophyllum.

roczero
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Thursday, March 26, 2015 4:04 PM
I think I will try removing the pot with my Picasso hatch tonight and see what happens. Just a couple questions:
1. When should I ideally remove the pot?  Right before lights out? (I guess in this case they really wouldn't need any aeration at all since they would start hatching soon after).  Or any time today?
2. This pair laid on a 6" pot.  Does the entire pot have to be submerged in the hatch tank?  I guess it would if the air bubbles need to be blasting them from below.  That is a lot more water than I usually add to a hatch tank.  It would be about 5-7 gallons worth in a 10g tank.  And this takes a ton of rotifers to saturate that volume of water.  The pot will not fit inside my 2.5g tanks.  (I would say that I normally have less than 1 gallon of water to start out with in a hatch tank)

Mdoty
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Friday, March 27, 2015 1:19 PM
Sorry I didn't see this until now, how did it go? I would say close to hatch time but not right at hatch time would be best. When I move my eggs its usually when I'm heading to work and the eggs won't hatch for four or five hours. Either way you would still need air to keep them moving, if they don't have movement they won't hatch. It would be best to have the water above the pot but if its not going to work for you then I would just try it with enough water to cover the eggs, worst case scenario you have to try again next clutch. 

roczero
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Friday, March 27, 2015 3:31 PM
I decided not to do it last night.  Didn't know if I would have enough rotifers at that time to fill that amount of water.  So I just snagged them like normal.  Always hard to tell but it seems like I did just fine with the old method.  Ill get geared up on the next one in a couple days and hopefully have substrate that is smaller in size so I don't use up an entire 5g culture in one night. =).

So, you leave the air bubbling even while they are hatching?  I have always had dead still water. I guess the parents continue to fan tho; a little bit.   

Mdoty
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Friday, March 27, 2015 4:55 PM
The water in my tank is still but yes the parents are taking care of them, or if I remove the tile or clay pot then I leave the air on them the entire time until hatch is complete.

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 880
Re:Substrate Removal vs Snagging Larva in Parent Tank - Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:58 PM
I most recently have been removing the eggs form the large rock under e anemone my clowns call home. I attach a plastic straw to a airline tube, create a siphon, and then gently scrape the eggs off. Then they are hatched in a tumbler with moderate aeration to keep the eggs moving around nicely, until the next day when they are put into the kreisel. I try to time it right and collect the eggs on hatch night, but I have accidentally collected a day early and had then tumble for an extra day with good results.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken