Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...?

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Thursday, March 26, 2015 3:03 AM
Have heard rumors tonight of Thai success breeding Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus and Centropyge bicolor. Captive bred Eviota punctulata showed up on the Diver's Den today - http://www.liveaquaria.co...d=E-_-TR-_-DDN-_-PRDCT - was told this was done by Tom in Palau....

What other successes are rumored / aren't getting the press they deserve?

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Thursday, March 26, 2015 9:29 AM
Lythrypnus dalli, diver's den.  Catalina goby.  Very pretty and expensive fish.  I need a couple.
Edit:
Oh.  Just noticed 3 for that price.  OK, Very pretty fish.  I need a couple.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

GreshamH
  • Total Posts : 757
  • Scores: 16
  • Reward points : 600
Re:Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:38 PM
Catalina Goby was cracked years ago, and has been offered for sale as captive bred at various points since then.  I've seen them at several public aquariums (breeding them behind the scene).

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Thursday, March 26, 2015 6:51 PM
I'm always the last to know.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

GreshamH
Re:Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:04 PM
Are you channeling Dr Erik Henry now?

Erik's favorite saying is, no one ever tells him anything (he's usually the last to hear things in the company).

I freaking love Catalina gobies.  My LFS used to have a breeding pair in a 10g with corynactis anemones.  I LOVED that tank.

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 549
Re:Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Thursday, March 26, 2015 10:05 PM
Andy Rhyne's students are breeding them up in Rhode Island.  They start breeding pretty much right after meta.  I had to laugh when he called them California Cockroaches. 

matt1001
  • Total Posts : 268
  • Scores: 4
  • Reward points : 768
Re:Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Friday, March 27, 2015 6:35 PM
I just has had someone mention they had got a captive bred peacock mantis of a breeder, but no idea if it's true, I'd always assumed there wouldn't have been bred in captivity

GreshamH
Re:Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Friday, March 27, 2015 6:56 PM
Hmmm that I have not heard of ever, interesting.  Hope its true, love those creatures.

mPedersen
Re:Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Sunday, March 29, 2015 7:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by GreshamH

Catalina Goby was cracked years ago, and has been offered for sale as captive bred at various points since then.  I've seen them at several public aquariums (breeding them behind the scene).

Catalina Gobies were done decades ago in fact if I'm not mistaken...they've been on the CB list for years, it's just that no one was producing them.

Fishboy42
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Scores: 8
  • Reward points : 245
Re:Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Sunday, April 5, 2015 5:51 PM
Quote Originally Posted by mPedersen

Catalina Gobies were done decades ago in fact if I'm not mistaken...they've been on the CB list for years, it's just that no one was producing them.

Is there a large market for them? They are definitely prolific spawners from my experiences with them as pets, but we've never attempted to rear any. Andy says it's not too hard...

mPedersen
Re:Rumor Mill...lots of CB successes not even getting really out there...? - Friday, April 10, 2015 2:30 AM
Everyone kinda says it's "not too hard"...I think you could find outlets for them if you went searching.  Eg. they're prefect Pico/Nano fish for an UNHEATED desktop tank.  I've long thought about how to pull it off (eg using round river rocks, throw in catalina gobies, call it a day).  You (and or Andy) could easily tap into the coldwater market if you work with the guys at Coldwater Marine Aquatics (Stu Wobbe and Josh Groves)