Brine shrimp culture. Is it worthwhile?

hopaddict
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 27
Brine shrimp culture. Is it worthwhile? - Monday, April 13, 2015 12:38 PM
So I kept some leftover BS from one of my hatches. I put them into a 2 L bottle, occasionally feed them some phytoplankton, and rarely change their water. Despite this abuse, many of them are nearly 1" long and are reproducing! Is it worth trying to culture these on a larger scale as a food source?

Anybody keep a continuous culture of BS going? What type of setup works best for maintaining water quality - rely on water changes or is there a type of filtration that can be used without harming the shrimp?
What about the volumes needed? How much culture would one need to have a constant supply of larger BS for feeding growout fish or breeders? What about newly hatched BS - is it possible to produce these in the numbers needed to feed fry? Or would the unknown hatching time result in variable/unknown nutritional value of these freshly hatched BS?

I found lots of good info for their culture at the following link, especially as it relates to larger aquaculture operations. But I was wondering what other people here are doing on the 'hobbyist' scale.
http://www.fao.org/docrep.../w3732e00.htm#Contents
(Lots of other good info here too! Phyto, rotifers, BS, copepods, etc..)

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 880
Re:Brine shrimp culture. Is it worthwhile? - Monday, April 13, 2015 5:36 PM
I've had a continuous culture going for over a year. Started off as some leftovers too, tossed in a 3 gallon bucket with no airline, etc. I would occasionally (monthly?) pour in a bit of rodi water without ever checking the SG. Later I dumped what I thought was a dead tiggerpods culture in there. Surprisingly enough, everything had thrived. When I found that I had a bunch of tiggers, I decided to check the SG & it was 1.040. Currently I have the SG back down between 1.026 & 1.030. I now feed the BS & tiggers to my new ruby red dragonets a couple of times a week as a "special treat". As to the question of "is it worth it?", I think there is so little required that it mostly maintains itself. It never hurts to have some live food around! The only feeding the bucket gets is maybe once a week the leftovers of a phyto culture, or a few dry flakes that I crumble between my fingers.

I think if one wanted to try to maintain a culture that produced enough nhbbs to raise fry, you would need a pretty large volume & it probably is easier just to hatch them out in 2 liter bottles.

And still no points for maintaining a brine shrimp culture ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Brine shrimp culture. Is it worthwhile? - Monday, April 13, 2015 11:30 PM
Anyone who's in a location where adult live brine shrimp are unavailable could certainly benefit from keeping some continuous cultures going.  Eg. if I was ever to work with Synchiropus again, I'd have to set up massive cultures here because I feel they're necessary for prepared feed training....