Nematode in clownfish egg

mil3sdavis
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 81
Nematode in clownfish egg - Monday, April 20, 2015 6:04 PM
https://youtu.be/xJcSAcGJbEo

I posted this in my breeding journal, but figured I'd post it here too. Any one have any ideas as to if this is a problem? Could this be the cause of my low survival rate in the first couple days?

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Nematode in clownfish egg - Tuesday, April 21, 2015 1:08 AM
OK, so I watched that video, are you talking about the worm-like thing at the end on the exterior of the egg where it would have connected to the substrate?

mil3sdavis
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 81
Re:Nematode in clownfish egg - Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:36 AM
Yes. It was initially moving around a lot, but by time I made the video had slowed to the point where it was barely moving. While it was moving, it covered a lot of the area around the bottom of the egg, not just where it attaches to the substrate. I'll admit that I don't know much about the microscopic world, so I'm not entirely sure if the nematode was in the actual egg, or just beside/on/under it. I just know that many species of nematode are parasitic.

I was able to get a look at the whole body, but didn't get any pics (my microscope software was having issues), but I can tell you that it looked nearly identical to this
http://www.bio.miami.edu/dana/pix/nematode.jpg , but I have been unable to ID the species.

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:Nematode in clownfish egg - Tuesday, April 21, 2015 3:10 PM
Most probably just another harmless nematode.
Nice to see both heart cavities pumping though!