Readings and Gleanings from the Journals

cjm3fl
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 42
Readings and Gleanings from the Journals - Saturday, May 9, 2015 5:19 PM
I've read many of the started Journals in both breeding forums. I see a number of times breeding begins shortly after getting new fish/inverts (some inverts-shrimp-are purchased already egg-heavy).

Those batches that don't survive for long, the first ones, could it be an issue of inexperienced/young parent stock?

And also there seems to be a high number of die-offs in the first few days after hatching, for the early attempts.
Most report sufficient food items are available, usually rots or pods.
Any thoughts about some newly hatched fish needing phyto before zooplankton?
Or is just a matter of poor/young parents and/or small size at hatching for the first couple of breeding attempts?

Chuck

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Readings and Gleanings from the Journals - Saturday, May 9, 2015 6:14 PM
Fish that spawn soon after arriving probably weren't fed a lot so the larvae usually aren't very good. It does take them some time to produce good eggs. Die offs will occur if the parents aren't fed well as the eggs are of low quality or if the proper first foods aren't provided. Environmental factors play a roll too.

Phyto isn't being eaten by larvae, it's the zooplankton that is eating it.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

cjm3fl
Re:Readings and Gleanings from the Journals - Saturday, May 9, 2015 6:21 PM
OK. Thanks. Makes sense. We'd want our breeders in top condition.
So the "green water" I'm reading about is phyto added to continue feeding the zooplankton?

waldend
  • Total Posts : 604
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 1855
Re:Readings and Gleanings from the Journals - Saturday, May 9, 2015 6:52 PM
Yes the zooplankton eats the algae. The greenwater also serves to help control the light levels in the larval tank.

cjm3fl
Re:Readings and Gleanings from the Journals - Saturday, May 9, 2015 7:12 PM
Thank you.
My breeding and fry rearing experiences are with Dwarf Seahorses and Short-fin Pipefish (that's one of their names) and they did well on large zooplankton---bbs and Acartia pods. Using phyto in the rearing tank wasn't something I used with them.

Chuck

president89
  • Total Posts : 224
  • Reward points : 222
Re:Readings and Gleanings from the Journals - Tuesday, October 20, 2015 11:39 PM
My experience was that at first, folks are learning. I killed the first 3 or 4 clutches. Then I learned to use the right greenwater, leave the lights on for the first 24 hours, Then of course keeping the rotifers alive and enriching those, etc. I do agree with Tal, if the parents aren't fed well, their larvae won't fare well.