Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris]

JNeff
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points : 136
Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Friday, June 19, 2015 4:21 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General 
Species:  Amphiprion ocellaris
Social Structure: pair 
Size of Individuals:  female: 3" male:2"
Age of Individuals:  2 yrs at first spawn
Date added to Tank: 2008               

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: Initially had these guys in a 55 gallon tank               
Substrate Details:  55 gallon had crushed coral
Filtration Details:  large wet dry and skimmer
Water Changes:  50% monthly
Water Temperature:  80F (temp would fluctuate daily *see "other information" section below)
Lighting:  2 x18 watt flourescent
Lighting Cycle:  12 hours on 12 hours off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  community tank

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Hikari Marine S Pellet, frozen table shrimp, and Frozen Mysis
Feeding Schedule:  1-2 times daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  9/7/2010
Spawn Time of Day:  morning
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  Had this pair from 2008 until 2015. Introduced Brooklynella to a 130 gallon broodstock system in spring 2015 from fish I had quarantined for 2 months....
    They spawned twice monthly like clockwork for 5 years. RIP Carrot and Binky...
Courtship Details:  Demersal spawn on flooring tile               
Egg Size:  3-4mm
Egg Color:  orange
Egg Count:  200+ (sometimes 300+)

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  The pics/vids I'm going to post are of their original spawn 9/14/2010
Hatch Time of Day:  Night
# Days after Spawn:  7
Larvae Description:  4-5mm tiny slivers with eyes            
Consecutive Hatch Dates:    9/14/2010 partial hatch 9/15/2010 the rest hatched.

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80F (temp would fluctuate daily *see "other information" section below)
Size of Larval Tank:  10 gallon hexagon used to hatch eggs
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor:  heater and 2 air stones
Filtration Details:  Just air circulation and water changes for first 15 days.
Lighting: 10 watt CFL       
Lighting Cycle:  24 Hours a day for first 30 days the 12 hours on and 12 off  
Water Changes:  as needed for cloudy water or high nitrates (ammonia and nitrite was never a problem)

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:    L strain brachionus plicatilis, artemia naup, enriched artemia, crushed pellet             
Feeding Schedule:  Continuous feeding for rotifers, 2-3 times daily on everything else

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  9/18/2010
Days after Hatch:  7
Date of Settlement End: Fry had mostly gone through meta by 9/24/2010
Description of Fry:  At 9-15 DPH they look like short, fat, yellow, mini adults missing their tail bars. By 30 days they look just like mini adults. 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80F (temp would fluctuate daily *see "other information" section below)
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  10 gallon for 2 months and then moved into a 30 gallon tub
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor:  heater, air stones, and sponge filter (after day 15)
Filtration Details:  just air stones for 15 days, then sponge filter until 2 months, then into a system with a wet dry and skimmer
Lighting:  10 watt CFL bulbs used for grow out tanks
Lighting Cycle:  24 hours for 30 days, then 12 hours on and 12 hours off
Water Changes:  as needed to keep water clear and nitrates down (probably 50% weekly)
Size at Transfer: Moved from 10 gallon hexagon hatch tank into a stock 10 gallon at one month (fry were 1/4").  Moved from stock 10 gallon into 30 gallon tub at 2 months (fry approaching 1/2 inch).               
Age at Transfer: I always wait 30 days to transfer clownfish from the hatch tank
Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:   green water, rotifers, artemia nap, enriched artemia, crushed pellet (Spectrum Marine)
Feeding Schedule:  Rotifers constant supply until day 10.  Artemia 2-3 times a day until day 20.  Crushed pellets 2 times a day thereafter.

Additional Information
If you notice the dates given are several years old this is because my most well documented pics and videos are from when I first started breeding orange ocellaris clownfish.  I have been breeding them since 2010, but recently have been working on other species.  I sell A Ocellaris regularly to local pet stores and fellow hobbyist.
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
It should be known that the room I raised these fry in fluctuated about 10 degrees on a daily basis.  The air conditioner in the apartment could not keep up during the day.  So in the mornings before I went to school and work it would read 80F and by the time I got home in the evening it could have gotten as high as 90F and would then cool back down during the night as the air conditioner dropped the ambient air temperature.  This is probably why I was seeing settlement as early as day 4 when I had only set the temperature to be 80F.  At 80F you should not expect to see settlement that early.  

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by JNeff on Wednesday, July 8, 2015 1:26 PM>

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Friday, June 19, 2015 4:37 PM
here is a pic of the pair with their first spawn (on the overflow.... how convenient lol)
<message edited by JNeff on Friday, June 19, 2015 4:52 PM>
Attached Image(s)

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Monday, June 22, 2015 11:07 AM
some pics of larval clowns going through meta
Attached Image(s)

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Monday, June 22, 2015 11:10 AM
older juveniles in grow out
Attached Image(s)

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Monday, June 22, 2015 11:13 AM
pic of my clowns in a local retailers tank
Attached Image(s)

Jake
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points : 140
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Monday, June 22, 2015 12:36 PM
Nice pics Jeff, thanks for sharing.
A pair like that gets to be family.
Jake
We are all in this together

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion ocellaris] - Monday, June 22, 2015 1:07 PM
Thanks! True they do... Miss those guys! But I still have a pair of their offspring from 2010 that I'm breeding now.  The circle of life. lol 
Attached Image(s)