Breeding Journal, Species: [Chrysiptera parasema]

JNeff
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points : 136
Breeding Journal, Species: [Chrysiptera parasema] - Wednesday, June 24, 2015 4:20 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Chrysiptera parasema
Social Structure:  pair
Size of Individuals:  female 1 1/4" male 1"
Age of Individuals:  unknown
Date added to Tank:  6/1/2014

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  10 gallon
Substrate Details:  none
Filtration Details:   plumbed into 116 gallon broodstock system with large wet dry and skimmer
Water Changes:  30 gallons once monthly
Water Temperature:  80F
Lighting:  LED 50/50 combo of 10K/420nm blue
Lighting Cycle: 12 hours on 12 off 
Other Tank Inhabitants:  none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Hikari Marine S pellet (sometimes soaked in Selcon), frozen raw table shrimp, frozen mysis
Feeding Schedule:  1-2 times daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  9/26/2014
Spawn Time of Day:  morning
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  9/26/2014, 10/3, 11/24, 12/8, 12/19, 12/27, 1/4/2015, 1/14, 1/21, 1/28, 2/7, 2/20, 2/28, etc...still going lol
Courtship Details:  male chases female around and shakes near spawning site
Egg Size:  1mm
Egg Color: clear and darken to black by day 3, eyes shine on day 4               
Egg Count:  too many to count (estimate maybe 500-600)

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  11/29/2014
Hatch Time of Day:  between 10:00PM and 12:30AM
# Days after Spawn:  4
Larvae Description:    1mm transparent slivers with eyes
Consecutive Hatch Dates: The hatch I tried to raise was on 11/29/2014, but they never fail to hatch 4 days after the spawn (see above consecutive spawn dates)       

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80F
Size of Larval Tank:  10 gallon hexagon
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor:  2 air stones and a heater
Filtration Details:  none, just air stones and water changes
Lighting:  10 watt CFL
Lighting Cycle:  24 hours on
Water Changes:  as needed for cloudiness and ammonia (maybe 50% weekly)

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  L strain brachionus plicatilis
Feeding Schedule:  constant

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  12/8/2014
Days after Hatch:  9
Date of Settlement End:  Large scale die off between day 11 and day 16. Last one died on day 16.
Description of Fry:  They start at about 1.5-2mm and by day 16 they were around 5mm.  At day 9-10 they began to show signs of the blue and yellow pigment on the body and tail.   

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information tHE 
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 
The temperature was measured and was 80F in both the broodstock system and the hatch tank.

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by JNeff on Wednesday, July 8, 2015 12:49 PM>

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Chrysiptera parasema] - Wednesday, June 24, 2015 4:28 PM
So I got these guys through to day 16 on the first try.  But I was greedy and didn't thin the group.  I probably had 500+ healthy and full of rotifers for the first 10 days.  It was hard to control the amount of rotifers and greenwater with that many fry in the tank.  The green water density and rotifer population was super dense one day and gone the next... I'm going to try these again soon and start with maybe 50 fry and see what happens.  

I know the popular theory is they don't take L strain Rotifers.  These hammered them!  
Don't believe it?  Watch toward the end of this video where I zoom in and you can see many bloated silver bellies full of L strain brachionus plicatilis! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGXfrZ0JcGY

Now nutrition may still be a problem.  Next time I may use Selcon in all my rotifer cultures and see if that helps with the 10 day bottleneck. 
<message edited by Fishtal on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 11:54 PM>

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Chrysiptera parasema] - Wednesday, June 24, 2015 4:34 PM
Here are some links to videos:

Female Yellow Tail Damsel with eggs 

1 day old

1 day old fry around air stone

500+ fry in a 10 gallon hexagon tank (what was I thinking... Overconfident much? )

<message edited by JNeff on Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:23 PM>

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Chrysiptera parasema] - Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:06 PM
Here are pics of nests with male. The nest on the flower pot is the one I made my attempt with. 
<message edited by JNeff on Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:27 AM>
Attached Image(s)

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Chrysiptera parasema] - Wednesday, June 24, 2015 5:08 PM
fry hatching (the second image is higher res)
Attached Image(s)

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Chrysiptera parasema] - Tuesday, July 14, 2015 1:56 AM
This is just awesome work JNeff!  I hope you can rear them through!  Try try try again!

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Chrysiptera parasema] - Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:42 AM
Congrats!

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Chrysiptera parasema] - Friday, August 7, 2015 5:48 AM
Thanks guys!  
Sorry I just noticed the replies.  

I haven't given up on these yet.  I built a Kreisel tank when I got back from the MBI workshop.  Tried my 1st larvae run in it two days ago.  I had about 100 fry in the Kreisel with green water (nanno) and rotifers (b. plicatilis) all tumbling nicely and then had a heater malfunction... All were dead in 68F water the next day.  I ordered some new heaters and will try again soon.  The female is already full of eggs again.  If I get no results with that format I'll pull out the big guns and order some Isochrysis and Parvocalanus.