Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis]

JNeff
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points : 136
Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:37 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Lysmata amboinensis
Social Structure:  hermaphroditic pair
Size of Individuals:  2"
Age of Individuals:  unknown
Date added to Tank:  June 2014

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  10 gallon
Substrate Details:  none
Filtration Details:  plumbed into 116 gallon broodstock system with large wet dry and skimmer  
Water Changes:  30 gallons to the system once monthly
Water Temperature:  80F
Lighting:  LED 50/50 combo of 10K/420nm blue
Lighting Cycle:  12 hours on 12 off 
Other Tank Inhabitants:  none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Hikari Marine S pellet (sometimes soaked in Selcon), frozen raw table shrimp, frozen mysis  
Feeding Schedule:  1-2 times daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  6/14/2014
Spawn Time of Day:  night
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  6/14/14, 6/29, 7/16, 7/31, 8/10, 8/26
Courtship Details:  never witnessed as this happens in the dark
Egg Size:  1-2 mm
Egg Color:  jade green
Egg Count:  hundreds

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  the hatch I attempted to raise was on 8/10/2014 from spawn on 7/31/14
Hatch Time of Day:  night
# Days after Spawn:  13
Larvae Description:  Z1 look like tiny colorless shrimp with 3 long legs on each side used for swimming 2-3mm.  Transition to Z2 (instar stage after first ecdysis) happened at day 4-5. Some red pigment and longer eye stalks appear; size is 3-4 mm. Z3-Z6 they just get slightly bigger with long paddle legs and more red pigment.  I believe Z6 is as far as I got with these.  

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80F
Size of Larval Tank:  10 gallon hexagon
Other Tank Decor:  2 air stones
Filtration Details:  day 1-11 just air stone circulation. day 12 added sponge filter
Lighting:  10 watt CFL
Lighting Cycle:  24 hours on
Water Changes:  many small water changes probably averaging 100% weekly (ammonia was an issue)

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  new hatched artemia
Feeding Schedule:  constant (as possible)

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  Z1 stage days 1-3, Z2 days 4-10, Z5 days 10-16, Z6 days 17-26 (when the last one died)
Days after Hatch: molting into different stages begins 4-5 days after hatch          
Date of Settlement End:  THERE IS NO END!  lol (Getting these guys to settle is NOT easy!)
Description of Fry: They look a little more like adult shrimp as they develop.  For stages Z3-Z6 they have cool paddle legs that get really long, the tail is well developed, and they have pincers on long legs. At this stage they will grab and hold onto larger meaty foods.          

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80F
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  10 gallon hexagon
Other Tank Decor:  sponge filter, 2 air stones, heater
Filtration Details:  sponge filter
Lighting:  10 watt CFL
Lighting Cycle:  24 hours a day
Water Changes:  frequent small changes adding up to about 100% of tank volume weekly
Size at Transfer:  I didn't get that far. All were dead in Z6 stage at day 26.  
Age at Transfer:  I didn't get that far. All were dead in Z6 stage at day 26. 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:    the larvae were fed NHBS constantly, later they were given small cut scraps of raw thawed table shrimp
Feeding Schedule:   constant supply of NHBS, frozen table shrimp given once daily at Z6 stage of development

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

Glad I had the opportunity to take a shot at such a difficult species.  There is obviously some settlement cue for L amboinensis that needs to be discovered.  If one of my breeders had not died I would have kept experimenting with these.  Maybe I'll try again someday...

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

<message edited by JNeff on Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:13 PM>

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:40 AM
Here is a vid of my broodstock (note the green eggs on the gravid shrimp)

and some pics

<message edited by JNeff on Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:09 PM>
Attached Image(s)

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, June 25, 2015 3:54 AM
This is a pic of the last surviving larvae at day 26.  The little dots all around it are newly hatched artemia to give you a size reference. I apologize for the poor quality of the pic... My old iphone was all I had to take pics with and it often refused to focus through the glass for close up pics. 
    (Also, the water was not as dirty yellow as it looks.  I darkened the contrast on the pic a lot to make the shrimp show up better.)
<message edited by JNeff on Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:42 PM>
Attached Image(s)

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:34 PM
Thought I would throw this in there for anyone thinking about trying their hand at rearing these. (Or any pelagic spawner.)  I built a snagger for eggs/larvae that attaches to an overflow bulkhead.  I initially used it for a pair of Spotted Hawkfish - Cirrhitichthys aprinus that were spawning.  I used it later to collect the spawn from the shrimp.  It worked perfectly in both cases! I used to have vids of the snagger in action, but I lost them all when I got a new phone... (And all the documentation I had for the hawkfish )
Here are some pics of the design.

Attached Image(s)

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:37 PM
more pics of snagger. Wish I had the vids of all the hundreds of shrimp rolling around in there! It was awesome!!! If your into that sort of thing... fish nerd... 

Attached Image(s)

xroads
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points : 684
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Friday, June 26, 2015 8:49 AM
Did suction just pull them into the funnel?

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Friday, June 26, 2015 12:17 PM
Yes.  This 10 gallon tank has a 1/2" slip bulkhead in the top of the back panel of glass.  Usually I just have a 1/2" strainer in the bulkhead.  I made this unit to attach directly onto the bulkhead so as the tank drains it draws water into it. Notice the funnel is jammed into a PVC pipe that fits into the mouth of the 2 liter bottle and extends almost to the bottom of the coffee filter.  This is to create a swirling current in the first chamber so the eggs/larvae gently swirl around and don't get stuck to the screen or settle to the bottom.  I have used it for hawkfish spawns and cleaner shrimp spawns.  Works great on pelagic eggs and larvae!  

xroads
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points : 684
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Lysmata amboinensis] - Friday, June 26, 2015 12:38 PM
Thanks for sharing, I have been struggling with an idea for my 500G reef tank