Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris

road8514
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points : 1239
Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:46 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion ocellaris 
Social Structure:  Standard ocellaris female x "Snowflake" ocellaris male 
Size of Individuals:  Female is 3.5in | Male 2.25in 
Age of Individuals:  unknown had since 2013
Date added to Tank:  2013

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  10 gals 
Substrate Details:  none
Filtration Details:  Tied into 100gal breeding system with filter sock, sponge filter, sand filter, Skimmer and Bio-pellets 
Water Changes: Never 
Water Temperature:  82.5
Lighting:  single florescent shop light 
Lighting Cycle: 12 hours on 12 hours off                
Other Tank Inhabitants: none               

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Frozen Mysis, Frozen homemade mash, New Life Spectrum Thera A, black worms, Spirulina flakes 
Feeding Schedule:  At least once a day pellets, but try for 3 times a day.  Up to as many as 6 times a day. 

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  3/9/15
Spawn Time of Day:  At night right before lights out. 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  every 10 days. 
Courtship Details: Female nudging the male. Male fluttering. Male cleaning tile before spawn occurred.
Egg Size:  approx. 1.5-2mm
Egg Color:  Bright Orange 
Egg Count:  hundreds with spawns being larger when they are fed multiple meals daily leading up to spawn. 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  3/16/15
Hatch Time of Day:  Night right after lights out. 
# Days after Spawn:  7
Larvae Description:  Tiny, Large silver eye is almost all you see. 
Consecutive Hatch Dates:   7-8 days after spawns      

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  82
Size of Larval Tank:  10gal half full of brood stock tank water. 
Substrate Details:  None
Other Tank Decor:  heater, Air stone
Filtration Details: None,  use of Seachem Prime to help keep ammonia down 
Lighting:  Shop Light 
Lighting Cycle:  Try to keep it 12 on and 12 off but really comes down to me turning on and off the light. 
Water Changes:  One water change about 7-8 days after hatch. Then when needed. Topoff with fresh water to account for evaporation. 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  They start with Rotifers and green water using rotigreen.  Then move to APBreed TDO. 
Feeding Schedule: Rotifers 24/7. APBreed TDO 2-6 times a day.               

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  3/22/15
Days after Hatch:  6-8 days after hatch. 
Date of Settlement End:  3/24/15
Description of Fry:  Orange with a head stripe. Other stripes starting to come in. 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  82 
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  10gals that will eventually get tied into grow out system. 
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor:  Sponge filter added once they meta and stop using rotifers and green water. 
Filtration Details:  Sponge filter and prime also add in some Cheto algae sometimes. 
Lighting:  shop light
Lighting Cycle: Try to keep it as close to 12 on and 12 off but it is not on a timer so it changes as to when I turn it on and off.                
Water Changes:  not often at all. Usually just topoff with fresh water to account for evaporation. 
Size at Transfer:  this changes. Could be right after to meta to never. 
Age at Transfer:  8-10 days to never. 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  TDO, mysis, frozen mash, different flake
Feeding Schedule:  1-6 times a day. Same as parents/ Brood stock 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.
<message edited by road8514 on Monday, July 6, 2015 3:51 PM>

road8514
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:49 PM

road8514
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:49 PM

Eggs 

road8514
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Thursday, June 25, 2015 5:50 PM

babies post Meta 

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 1044
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Wednesday, July 1, 2015 12:38 AM
You NEVER do water changes on this system? How much bio load do you have in it? 

road8514
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Wednesday, July 1, 2015 1:16 PM
I havent done a water change on the system ever. It has been setup over a year and a half.  
There are five 10gal tanks. 1st tank has a pair of black occys, 2nd tank is this reports pair, 3rd tank is single black onyx perc, 4th tanks is a platinum perc, 5th tank is the first set of babies from this reports pair. There is maybe 30 or so clowns about an in long. Then there is a large sump. That has a filter sock that hardly ever gets changed, sand filter, skimmer (just added about a month ago), biopellets (just added two weeks ago), Then there are sponge filters in every tank and some cheato in the 5th tank with the baby clowns.
All fish get fed at least 2 times a day if not more. I really only chem test the nitrates and they where around 80 last time. This is when I added the biopellets. Other then that I just top off with fresh water to keep the return pump from running dry and the salinity with in a range.  I am by no means saying this is the way to do things but this is what is working right now.

ray2111
  • Total Posts : 148
  • Reward points : 332
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:20 PM
Congrats on the little guys!

Jake
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points : 140
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Amphiprion Ocellaris - Thursday, July 2, 2015 8:07 AM
They are looking good. Enjoy ! 

I am a cheato fan, I think its contributing to your success.
Jake
We are all in this together