Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula]

JNeff
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points : 136
Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula] - Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:36 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion percula
Social Structure:  pair
Size of Individuals:  female 3" male 2"
Age of Individuals:  unknown
Date added to Tank: purchased male December 2014, purchased female 1/25/15

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  10 gallon
Substrate Details:  none
Filtration Details:   plumbed into 116 gallon broodstock system with large wet dry and skimmer 
Water Changes:  30 gallons once monthly
Water Temperature:  80F
Lighting:   LED 50/50 combo of 10K/420nm blue
Lighting Cycle:  12 hours on 12 off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Hikari Marine S pellet (sometimes soaked in Selcon), frozen raw table shrimp, frozen mysis  
Feeding Schedule:  1-2 times daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 6/19/2015               
Spawn Time of Day:  morning
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  this is their first spawn
Courtship Details:  male and female cleaning small flower pot and shaking to each other
Egg Size:  3-4mm
Egg Color:  orange
Egg Count:  75 or so

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  6/26/2015
Hatch Time of Day:  night
# Days after Spawn:  7  
Larvae Description:                 3-4mm tiny slivers with eyes
Consecutive Hatch Dates:      this was the first spawn from this pair

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  80F
Size of Larval Tank:  10 gallon hexagon for the first 30 days.  At day 30 the fish were moved to a regular 10 gallon aquarium.  
Other Tank Decor:  2 air stones and a heater
Filtration Details:  None for the first 2 weeks, then a small sponge filter was added.        
Lighting:  I used a 10 watt CFL for the first 30 days.  I switched to a 9 watt power compact at day 30.
Lighting Cycle:  The light is on 24 hours a day for the first 30 days.  Then I set a timer for 12 hours on and 12 hours off thereafter.       
Water Changes:  as needed for cloudiness and nitrates (maybe 50% weekly)

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  L strain brachionus plicatilis fed on nannochloropsis oculata and Selcon. Artemia nauplii, enriched 1-2 day old artemia, and crushed pellets will be introduced when larvae are ready.  
Feeding Schedule:  Continuous feeding of rotifers and nannochloropsis used to "green up" water until day 10, brine shrimp nauplii started on day 4 (continuous supply days 4-6), Selcon enriched baby brine shrimp started on day 6 and fed twice daily until all fry take crushed pellet food,  crushed pellet started on day 7 (fed small amount 3 times a day starting on day 7). 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  7/2/2015 This is the date the first fish became site attached.
Days after Hatch:  6 
Date of Settlement End:  7/7/2015 (day 12 post hatch) 6 fry have become site attached. These 6 have orange coloration, a first stripe, and are completely site attached.  The other 15 look a little less mature (no first stripes and coloration) and are hanging around the top of the tank.  
Description of Fry:  As of 7\7\15 the 6 that have site attached have peach/orange coloration and have their first stripe.  The other 15 are just starting to color up from being transparent and have no stripe.  All site attached fry are displaying the adult swimming pattern.  All fry are feeding and constantly appear full of prey items.

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  80F
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  10 gallon hexagon until day 30.  At day 30 I moved them to a regular 10 gallon aquarium.        
Other Tank Decor:  sponge filter (added on day 14 post hatch), 2 air stones, and a heater
Filtration Details:  small sponge filter (I run this in the parent system sump for 2 weeks to get it cultured and add it to the grow out tank on day 14 post hatch.)
Lighting:  10 watt CFL for the first 30 days, then I switched to a 9 watt power compact
Lighting Cycle:  24 hours on for the first 30 days post hatch, then I use a timer set for 12 hours on and 12 hours off         
Water Changes:  50% weekly            
Size at Transfer: around 1/4"           
Age at Transfer:  30 days post hatch         

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  As of day 12 post hatch they are being fed Selcon enriched live baby brine shrimp and are starting to take crushed pellet food.  The day I see most of them taking crushed pellet food I stop giving them the enriched baby brine shrimp.             
Feeding Schedule:  Baby brine are constantly present (usually offered 2 times a day as needed to keep a constant supply) and crushed pellet food is being offered 2-3 daily started on day 7.

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by JNeff on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 9:20 PM>

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula] - Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:40 PM
The male is a picasso and the female is a nebula.  Should be interesting to see what the fry look like!  Here are some pics.

<message edited by JNeff on Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:54 PM>
Attached Image(s)

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula] - Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:53 PM
Here are some vids.  If you notice the female nebula looks kinda stressed; that is because this video was taken the day I brought her home.  She was covered in Brooklynella 48 hours later... But that was ok.  She was in a quarantine tank.  And I like sitting with a fish I just spent $$$ on in a bucket full of Formalin.  It didn't really bother me until I put her in my broodstock system 2 months later (thinking she was clear) and having a massive Brooklynella outbreak in there... You gotta love this hobby! lol 

Female Nebula

The pair with their first spawn

The day the percula clowns spawned I had 3 tanks in a row with spawns (orange ocellaris, percula, and black ocellaris)

<message edited by JNeff on Wednesday, July 8, 2015 1:58 PM>

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula] - Saturday, June 27, 2015 12:41 PM
Here are some egg, hatch, and larvae vids.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnDA7Vmtdxc[/video]
<message edited by JNeff on Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:02 PM>

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula] - Tuesday, July 7, 2015 6:11 PM
The Percula fry are 12 days old today.  One fry is hogging the sponge filter. Poor little guy in the second video just kept coming back for more punishment! lol He gets an A for effort...

<message edited by JNeff on Tuesday, July 7, 2015 7:25 PM>

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula] - Sunday, July 19, 2015 12:46 PM
Update on the fry.  These videos were taken on 7-17-15.  The fry are 21 days post hatch.

JNeff
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion percula] - Friday, September 11, 2015 5:35 PM
The larger Percula fry (outside the breeder net) settled on 7/7/15 and were 65 days post settlement the day I recorded this video (9/10/15). 

<message edited by JNeff on Friday, September 11, 2015 5:47 PM>