Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Reward points : 1293
Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Friday, June 26, 2015 2:11 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Nemateleotris decora
Social Structure:  School / Paired off 
Size of Individuals:  2.5-2.75"
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  April 2015

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  30G
Substrate Details:  Crushed Coral (10%), sand (90%)
Filtration Details:  Mechanical/Chemical/Biological
Water Changes:  Almost never
Water Temperature:  80-82F
Lighting:  x3 Fluval 24" LED Strip lights
Lighting Cycle:  13/9 On/Off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  Synchiropus splendidus pair

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Frozen/Live/Pellets
Feeding Schedule:  4-6 times daily
Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 
Consecutive Hatch Dates:      

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Friday, June 26, 2015 2:17 PM

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Friday, June 26, 2015 11:27 PM
BEAUTIFUL! I'm working with a pair as well.  Are your getting along with each other?
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Saturday, June 27, 2015 12:23 AM
I've got 3 in the tank (and the pair of Mandarin's who are spawning for me now with nothing set up for eggs), the pair is always next to each other.  The male is driving the other male off 75% of the time, causing him (the other male) to hang out up in the corners.  I'm moving in a couple weeks to a bigger place, so can't do much for any of them other than feed the heck out of em.  

I plan on getting a system up once I've moved the middle of July, as well as getting 4-5 more of them to see if the aggression will be better.  I'll be keeping the pair in a 15G in their own system once settled. 

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Saturday, June 27, 2015 11:23 PM
Do you have a thread for the mandarins? I'm currently conditioning harems of a few different synchiropus species and I'd like to compare notes with someone soon.

Good luck with the decora, looks like you have a good pair bond established already.

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Sunday, June 28, 2015 4:31 PM
No thread for the mandarins, because honestly I never see them.  I can't even see into my 30 because of the algae all over the glass.  Only when I turn the pumps off and it gets still do I see them.  I just happened to be screwing with the lights when they spawned right under me.  Female is consistently fat, they spawned again last night.  Eggs are fertile as they are clear and float.  Moving in about a week so I can set up a proper fish room.

They have to be eating frozen, as the little 30G should be empty of pods by now (although I have more amphipods than I can count.  Hundreds per every couple inches)

JoeDigiorgio
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Sunday, June 28, 2015 7:02 PM
lol We've talked about your amphipod population once a long time ago I think. Its gotta be good for the decora too. 

Which species of mandarin are they?

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Sunday, June 28, 2015 9:15 PM
Quote Originally Posted by JoeDigiorgio

lol We've talked about your amphipod population once a long time ago I think. Its gotta be good for the decora too. 

Which species of mandarin are they?

Synchiropus splendidus, the greenies.  The male will always swim to the surface when the pumps are off as he see's his reflection on the still water. 

JoeDigiorgio
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Sunday, June 28, 2015 11:56 PM
Looking at that picture you posted, there's a pretty obvious difference between the two firefish. Kathy do your pair compare similarly?

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Monday, June 29, 2015 6:45 PM
I can't tell who is male and who is female.  ONe of mine is clearly larger and more aggressive, and the other smaller and more timid.  They do hang out with each other a lot, and particularly at mealtime.

check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Tuesday, June 30, 2015 9:54 PM
Pretty sure some hanky-panky is afoot.   Both the male/female are no longer swimming out and about, but peeking out from under a rock on the side of the tank.   Of course the rock is holding the largest rock in the tank up...

I'll give it till tomorrow and then see if the kids are making/made whoopee.

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Friday, July 3, 2015 10:26 PM
I disturbed them in mid hanky-panky.  Whoops!

Re-arranged the rock so the male would stop beating on the other male so much.

Hasn't affected the mandarins at all - Mama is still big as a house!

Pics of pair of mandies and mama here:

http://www.tcmas.org/v4/f...mp;p=631908#post631908

JoeDigiorgio
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Friday, July 3, 2015 11:01 PM
Can't see the pics, if youre not a member. 

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Friday, July 3, 2015 11:03 PM
Hmm let me try though google.

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Friday, July 3, 2015 11:05 PM

Mama all fat n' sassy.

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Friday, July 3, 2015 11:05 PM
Do those show up?

JoeDigiorgio
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Friday, July 3, 2015 11:07 PM
YES. WOW.

Check your messages LOL

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Tuesday, August 4, 2015 3:43 PM
So moved over the past week - lost the female and the other male.  Next fish order will be a group of four or five.  Too much aggression when it was just three.  The beta male was constantly pushed into the corner of the tank. 

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Reward points : 549
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Tuesday, August 4, 2015 4:47 PM
Will you be buying full sized decoras or pre-adults and waiting for them to grow or pair up?  I'd like to try breeding them.  Most people put half a dozen in a large tank and pull two fish as they exhibit pair bonding, but I wonder if one put two (non-fighting) medium sized decoras together if they would turn male and female.   And has anyone tried them in smaller tanks (like 10 gallons) with no other tank occupants, or do you think they need a dither fish?

Thanks.  I know that's a lot of questions.

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Tuesday, August 4, 2015 11:48 PM
Dave I honestly don't know if they can switch sexes.  I think playing the percentage game (6 is an 84% chance for a pair, 8 is like a 98%) for male and females is easier.  Downside is the leftovers, but I'm pretty sure I can trade those off.  Besides maybe you get lucky and get two males and four females  I'll be getting small ones - if for anything they are cheaper (or unless a local (45minutes away) store gives me a deal on them).

Dither fish are probably a good idea - the mandarins are out and about but not really more than a couple inches from the rocks.  Every now and again I'll see one going up the side of the glass, but nothing serious.

I'll set up a 30G for a QT for them and let themselves figure it out. 

JoeDigiorgio
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Wednesday, August 5, 2015 10:34 AM
Had you gotten a spawn before everything with the move? I saw you post saying you interrupted them, did anything come of that?

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:09 PM
I think when I picked up the rock they were both in/under it.  I can't say 100% there were eggs, as I've never seen any.  I've got a couple of houses made that I'll be using which will make it easier to tell.

Arc Katana
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Nemateleotris decora - Wednesday, August 5, 2015 10:56 PM
And the female isn't dead - she just showed up for the first time since the move (nearly a week ago).  So crossing fingers she'll stick around this time.