Clownfish Genetics Calculator

Nolapete
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 40
Clownfish Genetics Calculator - Sunday, July 26, 2015 3:28 AM
I had the privilege of unveiling the secret project I've been working on with Matt Pedersen since December to the MBI Workshop Saturday.  Version 1 of the calculator can be found at http://clowncalc.nolapete.com.  It will eventually be linked into the MBI site.  

Your input in the form of filling out the cross feedback report regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the results helps out immensely.  Agree posts confirm that we've got it right and disagree helps us to resolve the unknowns and correct what we have wrong.

Version 2 is currently in development.  You can watch the progress at http://test.nolapete.com.  It features a search input rather than dropdowns like version 1.

Any feedback and/or questions can be posted here or you can email me at fish4pete@gmail.com or find me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Nolapete.

Pete

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5467
  • Scores: 37
  • Reward points : 2908
Re:Clownfish Genetics Calculator - Sunday, July 26, 2015 12:58 PM
Pete,
Thanks so much for sharing this with us yesterday. I'm sure this is going to be a useful tool for everyone interested in clownfish breeding.
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Scores: 29
  • Reward points : 1376
Re:Clownfish Genetics Calculator - Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:52 AM
Why is this in the "hybridization" arena?  This post is about Clownfishes...hybrids AND genetics.  IDK...I went looking for it in Clownfishes first.  Anyway, I making it sticky so it's not lost.

mPedersen
Re:Clownfish Genetics Calculator - Monday, August 3, 2015 5:11 AM
Turns out I can't make a post sticky?!  Well, on another front, Pete has created a Facebook discussion group for this calculator as well.  Obviously it is my preference that discussions occur on the FORUM so the info is a) public and b) not lost, but these days Facebook is an unavoidable reality of the breeding community.

https://www.facebook.com/...570284999779171/ 

road8514
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 1239
Re:Clownfish Genetics Calculator - Monday, August 3, 2015 10:17 PM
Have a question. Should onyx be added to percs? It is a different color mix then regular perc. Just looking for thoughts on that.

road8514
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Scores: 5
  • Reward points : 1239
Re:Clownfish Genetics Calculator - Monday, August 3, 2015 10:21 PM
Have a question. Should onyx be added to percs? It is a different color mix then regular perc. Just looking for thoughts on that.

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1044
Re:Clownfish Genetics Calculator - Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:14 AM
I think it should be added. It is a standard percula in the sense that it's a natural variant but it'll give a different phenotype than the "normal" percula.

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1044
Re:Clownfish Genetics Calculator - Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:20 AM
Mix an onyx percula with a snowflake occellaris and you'll get something different than mixing a normal percula with a snowflake.

mPedersen
Re:Clownfish Genetics Calculator - Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:50 AM
Actually that's not really the case, because Onyx is best thought of as a strain.  Same with "Fancy" as in your "Fancy White" Ocellaris Mike.  Strains are not hybrids in and of themselves (although a hybrid could be developed into a strain), nor are strains representative of easily tracked single gene mutations (or combinations thereof).  As such, what makes an Onyx and Onyx is likely multiple genes, plus I also have the firsthand experience that it is not, by default, necessarily heritable nor automatically always expressed.  Nor is Onyx a geographic variant (as I demonstrated with the video from the Solomons that showed the full range of black expression in percula, all residing in the same anemone in like 3 feet of water).

Pete and I have removed "strains" like Onyx (we might not have culled them all yet) but they have no bearing (in my opinion) on naming, as they have no immediate bearing on their resultant offspring.  So from where I sit, ANY Percula X Snowflake Ocellaris = Snow Onyx if it gets the gene. Not because it's going to turn onyx (it's amazing how many snow Onyx are NOT "onyx" in any sense of the word), but because that was the name first used for Percularis that have a Snowflake Gene.  That's why they're Snow Onyx in the calculator.  If someone definitively PROVES, through documented and repeatable results, that there is something more to Onyx and it's offspring, then yes, that would require Pete and I to reexamine how we currently treat (ignore) Onyx.

We have TALKED about restoring the "strains" to the calculator, as we can still effectively use A. percula, and A. percula "Onyx", and give the same result.  But again, in looking at this pragmatically...what about the Percula that is only "half onyx"...eg. all the "black shouldered" fish?  Don't they impart "black too" as some are suggesting?

But I think Mike, your F1 pair from my wild pair really hits the point home.  Neither look fully like their onyx parent; the female is currently a "shouldered" perc, and the male is Onyx, but not like his dad or mom.  The one baby I still have...is orange with black edges only....same batch of fish yours are from. This is just one example that speaks to why we don't treat Onyx as a Gene, nor as a Variant that matters in this scenario.  We know Onyx to be epigenetic in its expression (again, why is mine solid orange, as were ALL of the siblings, until they left here?). I think we also have enough evidence to suggest that you CANNOT simply "create" an Onyx.  So yes, there is a genetic component, but it's not trackable, it's not readily heritable when it comes to any sort of outcross.  In every sense, it hits the definition of a strain, and is therefore a non factor.

Nolapete
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 40
Re:Clownfish Genetics Calculator - Thursday, August 27, 2015 11:00 AM
Why is this now under hybridization?  While the calculator does account for hybridization, it is only a part of the overall dynamic.  The focus is on clownfish genetics.