Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red"

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 67 of 67 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Monday, August 17, 2015 10:37 PM
looks like food to me.
Day 4, 3 more days before you know for sure.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

t.priscu
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points : 203
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Monday, August 17, 2015 10:49 PM
Cool deal!

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Wednesday, August 19, 2015 11:59 PM
Well they were all doing fine till I added more naups and somehow I killed them all. Have a bunch more eggs so I'll give it another shot here tomorrow.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:35 AM
How many naups/ml before you added more?
It's day 7 for that batch, so they would have died had they not eaten, but it looked like they were eating, so I don't have a clue unless there were too many copepods in the larval culture. When did you start feeding them? When they first hatched, or after they had eyes and mouths?

How are the ones that hatched in the hundreds a few days ago?

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Friday, August 21, 2015 10:35 PM
Alright, Trying again with about 100 larva.
They were collected on 8-18.  Have them in a small 1 gallon container.
Added naups to water now, even though they do not have eyes yet.  Maybe shouldnt have added them already or not, unsure.

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Friday, August 21, 2015 10:52 PM
Sorry collected 8-19

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Sunday, August 23, 2015 5:56 PM
Still a lot alive from the new batch.
siphoned out the bottom of the container, snagged a few larva on accident.
Took some pictures, doesnt appear yet as if they are eating yet.
Added some new naups to the container.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Sunday, August 23, 2015 9:36 PM
Sweet pix!

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Sunday, August 23, 2015 10:48 PM
Thanks !
Hoping to get past the 6 day mark this time.

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:05 PM
Well at a personal best at day 8 (only have 2-3)

took a pic, however id ont see anything in his stomach, but to have lived this long he had to eat something.

Every time i try to do a small water siphon and slowly add new water back it decimates the larva.
This time trying with a brt and im going to mostly leave the water alone for a while and see what happens.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Thursday, September 3, 2015 12:15 AM
Yay day8!

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Reward points : 880
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Saturday, September 5, 2015 7:38 PM
Those are great pictures. Are they still only about 2mm in length?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Thursday, September 24, 2015 6:32 PM
Sorry I hadnt seen your last question.
I will measure one this time if I make it to day 8.
Trying it again with more naups in the water and water tinted darker than last time.
Added 2 strings of eggs to brt on 20th.  Looks like the larva are more active then the last few times, maybe they can see the food better witht he water a darker color.
So far so good.

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:14 PM
well the eggs i had collected on the 20th were doing great till today.
I added a small sponge filter around 4pm. by the time i was home tonight they had all bitten the dust.
Guess i shouldnt of done that.  They were at least triple the size from hatching and had extremely plump bellies.
Gonna collect tonight and give it another go.  this time ill just leave things alone for a while and see what happens.

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:16 PM
Oh and at least i improved from the last go.
Still bit the dust on day 8 but instead of 3-4 i still had at least 100.
I guess i had something on the sponge filter or something.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:26 PM
No sponge filters until meta. Do water changes, siphon bottom. Keep at it, Grasshopper! 100 is very very good! Thrilled for you.

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Friday, October 16, 2015 11:49 PM
Okay, collected eggs again tonight. Nice hunk of eggs probably 300+. This time I'm using some freshly made up saltwater. Tinted the water brown with ISO and added p.crass adults.

The reef setup the parents live in I vodka dose and I think that the amount of bacteria is affecting the larva so going to try this route and see what happens.

I will probably add tomorrow's collected eggs as well to have a large sample and we'll see how it goes.

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Friday, October 23, 2015 4:38 PM
So I have about 50-100 swimming around that I can see. These are from the 16-17th collections. Bottom is very scummy so doing a small clean out and water change. Well see if they live through it. I think I added rotifers to early and I think they are starting to take over the p.crass so I'm worried they don't have enough avail food.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Friday, October 23, 2015 11:13 PM
Days 6 and 7 and you have 50-100------awesome. Crossing my fingers for you for tomorrow.

Do they look like they have something in the belly?

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Saturday, October 24, 2015 1:19 PM
All but 5 bit the dust over night after the water change. I snagged one and yes it has food in the gut. Well see how these 5 do for a while. Next time Im going to try a large volume of water and not do a water change and see how long they last.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Saturday, October 24, 2015 9:25 PM
Good thinking.  I'm thinking the same thing...

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:51 PM
Looks like I'm having some of the same ruby red blues as everyone else.
One of the females snuck through an overflow. I noticed i was getting alot less eggs for 3 days.
Finally figured out a female was missing.  I rescued her from the overflow but she was looking a little rough.
Adding her back into the tank has messed up the spawning of the other two , since finding her they have not spawned and tonight i saw the two females trying to rise together...
Hope they figure it out again.

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Thursday, November 12, 2015 11:02 PM
Please post the best photos you can of the two females. I suspect one may be a male in disguise. Juvenile males look like females and behave like them as well but will sneak into spawning rituals and fertilize eggs. Your dominant male may have figured him out and chased him into the overflow. Take a close look at the two females' dorsal fins and see if there are any subtle differences.

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Friday, November 13, 2015 12:18 AM
Well for months now though before she got into the overflow they have been spawning as 2 females  (2 separate rises and egg strands) so i think she just went into the overflow for whatever reason.

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Friday, November 13, 2015 12:18 AM
Well for months now though before she got into the overflow they have been spawning as 2 females  (2 separate rises and egg strands) so i think she just went into the overflow for whatever reason.

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Friday, November 13, 2015 12:44 AM
Ah ok. That's weird the two females rising then..

t.priscu
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Synchiropus sp. "Ruby Red" - Tuesday, November 17, 2015 10:40 PM
Well looks like they finally figured it out again. Double spawns tonight.
There were multiple occasions of the females rising together there for a while, very weird.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 67 of 67 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version