Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons

road8514
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points : 1239
Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:11 PM
Culturing Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Euterpina acutifrons 
Species description:  Harpacticoid
Culture source (link if possible):  Waldend at 2015 MBI Workshop 
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  July 25, 2015 
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.021
Temperature:   Room Temp 
pH:  unknown 

Vessel description:  1.75 liter used juice container. 
Lighting description:  light from the phyto cultures, single spiral CFL bulb. 
Lighting cycle:  14 on 10 off direct lighting 
Aeration description:  Light air 1 bubble per second, just enough to keep water moving. 

Methodologies
Split methodology: Culture is poured through a 23micron sieve to remove all copepods.  They are then backwashed into a container with fresh ASW.

Culture medium description: 
Culture is feed Tetraselmis as needed to tint the water.   

Cell count: unknown 
 (if known)

Reference links:  

Additional Information
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Notes: 
Water is sterilized using bleach and and dechlorinated using sodium thiosulfate. 
Stock solution of sodium thiosulfate made following this info.
http://www.mbisite.org/fo...print=true  

You will be required to provide photographic evidence and as much detail as possible about your project in this thread.
If your thread does not contain detailed enough photos  and information the MBI Council will not be able to approve your reports.

road8514
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:16 PM

dave w
  • Total Posts : 296
  • Reward points : 549
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Tuesday, August 11, 2015 8:30 PM
If I remember correctly, this species can acclimate in salinities almost all the way down to fresh water.  That might save you a little on the salt bill if you decide to use a low salinity algae as well.

road8514
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:41 PM
I am not sure. But I will keep them in salt so I don't have issues using them for salt water fish. I don't think they would handle quick change in salinity from culture vessels to fry rearing vessel.

clayton447
  • Total Posts : 78
  • Reward points : 506
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Thursday, August 13, 2015 11:21 AM
Quote Originally Posted by road8514

I am not sure. But I will keep them in salt so I don't have issues using them for salt water fish. I don't think they would handle quick change in salinity from culture vessels to fry rearing vessel.

You could always perform some simple salinity stress tests and see how they respond.  Some copepods are more durable than others.  I work with Tigriopus and the can easily tolerate going from 30ppt to 0ppt instantly, and stay in 0ppt for 30 minutes without mortalities.  It takes about 15 minutes for them to snap out of the stress after they are put back into 30ppt; it's remarkable either way.  I am also working with Apocyclops and I will be testing them with salinity shock treatments.  That actually sounds barbaric! LOL

Chad 

road8514
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Euterpina acutifrons - Sunday, September 27, 2015 10:40 PM
These crashed. Will need to get another filter going.