"Density of copepod nauplii when feeding pelagic larvae" trial

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
"Density of copepod nauplii when feeding pelagic larvae" trial - Sunday, August 23, 2015 8:01 PM
I wanted to record this in the Experiment Section, but there is no "Post New Thread" button!  So here I am!

Experiment Title:   
Density of copepod nauplii when feeding pelagic larvae trial

Purpose of Experiment:   
 To determine the better density of copepod nauplii to promote survival of extra small pelagic larvae. Trial will be an n of 1, so not a real experiment, with 10 nauplii per ml expected to be produced by 15000 adult copepods in 1.5 liters daily, and 100 nauplii per ml expected to be produced by 150,000 adult copepods in 1.5 liters daily.  Assumption is that the adults will produce an average of 10 nauplii per adult per day.

Hypothesis:   
I would expect that 10 nauplii per ml for pelagic larvae should be the equivalent of 10 rotifers per ml for clownfish larvae.

Starting Date of Experiment:   
8/21/15 night of Dascyllus aruanus hatch

Ending Date of Experiment:   
8/24/15 only one hapless larva in the 10N/ml jar, 2 or 3 hunting and striking larvae in the 100N/ml jar   

Materials:
1.5 liter PETE clear plastic jars (2)
rigid airline connected to air supply
water bath set at 80F big enough to hold the jars, heater and water.
sufficient Parvocalanus crassirostris to provide 15000 adults to one jar, and 150,000 adults to the other.
filters to remove copepodites from culture
Isochrysis galbana, live with occasional other live algaes in combination as available
10 watt LED screw in light bulb about 2 feet from cultures
~ 100 Eggs of Dascyllus aruanus, ready to hatch.

Procedure for the Experiment:   
1. Set up jars in water bath, with airlines to receive eggs and culture larvae
2. Harvest eggs on hatch night, not the whole nest, I am guessing there were 100 eggs scraped off the tile.   
3. Roughly, add half the eggs to jar 1 and half the eggs to jar 2
4. Incubate 2 days until eggs hatch and eyes begin to darken
5. Add 1500 adult P. crassirostris to Jar1, and 15,000 to Jar 2
6 Incubate and observe larvae daily.

Experiment Constants:   
1.5 Liter jars, the salinity of the water, the amount of water used , temperature of water bath, air supplied, approximately equal numbers of eggs

Experiment Variables:   

Independent variable: The number of P. crassirostris adults added, and their expected nauplii population, 10 per ml and 100 per ml.
Dependent variable: D. aruanus survival
Experiment Data:    
8/24/15
  • only one hapless larva in the 10N/ml jar, 
  • 2 or 3 hunting and striking larvae in the 100N/ml jar   

Conclusion:  
100 nauplii /ml of P. crassirostris may have contributed to the survival of damsel larvae Dascyllus aruanus.  Seemed to work better than only 10 N/ml.  I've proven nothing since there are no replicates or statistics, but I have shown that it is possible to raise larvae with that concentrated nauplii population, contrary to the ideal prey/ml concentration known in rotifer dogma, 10/ml.

Were I to repeat the trial, I would do replicate studies, count the nauplii throughout the experiment to confirm populations, and be more exact about the numbers of larvae added to each unit jar.  I might wait until after hatch to add the larvae as well, to avoid any issues with hatch rate.

<message edited by KathyL on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:31 PM>
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

KathyL
Re:"Density of copepod nauplii when feeding pelagic larvae" trial - Sunday, August 23, 2015 8:09 PM
Yesterday, I thought the paint fumes from our basement cleaning and clearing had done this experiment in, and that none of the larvae survived.  This morning I saw some hanging vertically and drifting in the water, as well as many dead ones floating in the 10 N/ml (nauplii per ml) jar. So I thought they were all dead.  Then I was reading Karen Brittain's thread on RC about a girlfriend for Fabio, and she says the vertical hanging and drifting is a normal thing for pelagic larvae, so I looked this evening and saw many transparent larvae with dark eyes striking at something, presumably nauplii. There seemed to be more larvae striking at something in the 100 N/ml jar than in the 10.  We shall see how that holds up over time.

KathyL
Re:"Density of copepod nauplii when feeding pelagic larvae" trial - Tuesday, August 25, 2015 9:17 AM
Last night I decided that there were no larvae left in the 10 N/ml jar, so I filtered the contents just to be sure.  There were no living larvea in the body of the water, but I found one in the sediment in the bottom:

KathyL
Re:"Density of copepod nauplii when feeding pelagic larvae" trial - Tuesday, August 25, 2015 9:21 AM
The two or three left in the 100N/ml jar are striking and moving independent of the water flow.  A good sign.

It is amazing to me, how difficult it is to see these transparent larvae in a small clear jar. Their eyes are as big as the adult copepods in the jar and it is easy to dismiss the spots as copepods when they are larvae.  Althought he bodies appear to be bigger than the Ruby Reds, having no color makes them soooo difficult to see, no surprise.

KathyL
Re:"Density of copepod nauplii when feeding pelagic larvae" trial - Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:32 PM
conclusion:
100 nauplii /ml of P. crassirostris may have contributed to the survival of damsel larvae Dascyllus aruanus.  Seemed to work better than only 10 N/ml.  I've proven nothing since there are no replicates or statistics, but I have shown that it is possible to raise larvae with that concentrated nauplii population, contrary to the ideal prey/ml concentration known in rotifer dogma, 10/ml.

Were I to repeat the trial, I would do replicate studies, count the nauplii throughout the experiment to confirm populations, and be more exact about the numbers of larvae added to each unit jar.  I might wait until after hatch to add the larvae as well, to avoid any issues with hatch rate.

KathyL
Re:"Density of copepod nauplii when feeding pelagic larvae" trial - Tuesday, August 25, 2015 6:33 PM
I'll keep the 100N/ml jar going until either the larvae settle, or die.

KathyL
Re:"Density of copepod nauplii when feeding pelagic larvae" trial - Tuesday, August 25, 2015 10:15 PM
Today I counted the nauplii in the jar: 25, not 100 naups/ml. So the other one had probably 3 naups/ml.