Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW]

superfish
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points : 183
Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Tuesday, September 1, 2015 8:30 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Amphiprion Ocellaris
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  Female 3.5" Male 2.25"
Age of Individuals:  Both 2.5 years
Date added to Tank:  Oct 7 2014

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  5 gallon (in 50gal system)
Substrate Details:  None
Filtration Details:  sump with skimmer and LR
Water Changes:  20% weekly
Water Temperature:  81.9~83.2 F
Lighting:  small CFL 5000K
Lighting Cycle:  13on/11off
Other Tank Inhabitants:  none

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  NLS/ homemade blend
Feeding Schedule:  3 times daily (10am/1:30pm/5:30pm)

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  June 20 2015
Spawn Time of Day:  5PM
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  every 9~10 days
Courtship Details:  male chase female, and bitting females belly. both clean the pot together for 2 days.
Egg Size:  1mm
Egg Color:  orange
Egg Count:  200~300

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:  June 27 2015
Hatch Time of Day:  8pm after lights turn off
# Days after Spawn:  7
Larvae Description:   "normal" same as other clown fry. silver color about 3 mm in size
Consecutive Hatch Dates:    1 : all hatched on same night

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:  79.7~80.6
Size of Larval Tank:  10gal with 5gal of newly mixed saltwater
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor:  air stone
Filtration Details:  none
Lighting:  3W led
Lighting Cycle:  24 on
Water Changes:  none for the first 5 days

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:  Rotifers for the hatching nights. mixed BBS with rotifers on day 2,3, stop rotifer on day 4.
Feeding Schedule:  once a day

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  July 4 2015
Days after Hatch:  7
Date of Settlement End:  July 7 2015
Description of Fry:  most have first stripe. some with wider first stripe( probably going to be WW)

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:  79.7~80.6
Size of Grow-Out Tank:  10
Substrate Details:  none
Other Tank Decor:  air stone
Filtration Details:  none
Lighting:  small CFL
Lighting Cycle: 13on 11off               
Water Changes:  80% every 4 days
Size at Transfer: 1"               
Age at Transfer:  30~35 days i move them into grow out with filteration.

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:  TDO
Feeding Schedule:  5 times daily

Additional Information
collected my first batch 2 month ago. i raised them and make sure i succeed before i post here.
(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by superfish on Wednesday, September 16, 2015 12:00 AM>

superfish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:58 AM
looks like for over a year's... i still haven't figure out how to upload pics...

superfish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:02 AM
finally....
pair before laying eggs.

superfish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:09 AM

superfish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:10 AM
DAY 1, with "green water"

superfish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:11 AM
day 15, some of them are almost white!

superfish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:18 AM
45 days old. finally be able to see the spot on them

ray2111
  • Total Posts : 148
  • Reward points : 332
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Tuesday, September 8, 2015 4:16 PM
Those little guys look great!

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Reward points : 1044
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:50 AM
Thats a great looking pair and babies! Whats the mix of babies you ended up with? Wyoming white, davinci, normal…?

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Saturday, October 10, 2015 12:41 AM
Yes, can we get more baby pictures please?

superfish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Monday, October 12, 2015 7:19 PM
thanks everyone...the first batch is reaching salable size now!
here is a few more pics.

superfish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Monday, October 12, 2015 7:38 PM
another thing i want to mention.  According to Genetics Calculator, reef builders article, and my own experience, i should get 1/4 davinci, 1/4WW, 1/4 flurry and 1/4 frostbite. however with the result of the first few batches of the babies, im getting roughly 30~40% ocellaris. only few Low grade davincis. (less than 3 every 100fish). im guessing, all those ocellaris have Davinci gene, but just not showing up on the markings. ??? any thoughts?

Mdoty
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Monday, October 12, 2015 9:05 PM
That's strange I would not have predicted any normal striped ocellaris. Nice looking fish in the picture!

ssabey
  • Total Posts : 188
  • Reward points : 791
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Monday, October 12, 2015 9:29 PM
Talking with Soren from Sea and Reef, I was under the impression that the diVinci gene separate from WW or snowflake genes.??

superfish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Thursday, October 29, 2015 9:48 PM
i think ww and davinci have same gene... it's just, they need multi generations to get those fancier davinci..
Quote Originally Posted by ssabey

Talking with Soren from Sea and Reef, I was under the impression that the diVinci gene separate from WW or snowflake genes.??

Mdoty
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Friday, October 30, 2015 5:00 AM
Davinci and Wyoming white are the same gene. If the fish gets a single dose you get a davinci and if it gets a double dose it's a Wyoming white. A davinci crossed with a davinci will give you approximately 25% normal ocellaris, 50% davinci, and 25% Wyoming white.

superfish
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Monday, November 2, 2015 7:50 PM
Thanks for the detail.
problem is, my 25% Davinci end up being all regular ocellaris~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Mdoty

Davinci and Wyoming white are the same gene. If the fish gets a single dose you get a davinci and if it gets a double dose it's a Wyoming white. A davinci crossed with a davinci will give you approximately 25% normal ocellaris, 50% davinci, and 25% Wyoming white.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Amphiprion Ocellaris (Frostbite X WW] - Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:13 AM
Seems to me, if you cross a single allele mutation with a double allele mutation you should get half of the progeny with a single allele, and half double allele.  There should be no normal. That's assuming that in the double allele the mutations are on each of the chromatids of the same chromosome.  If both mutations are on the same chromatid, then half of the progeny should be normal, 25% single mutation, 25% double. Not sure.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)