My ocelaris clowns eat there spawn the day they lay. what could be causing this?

ray2111
  • Total Posts : 148
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 332
My ocelaris clowns eat there spawn the day they lay. what could be causing this? - Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:29 PM
Hello everyone, I've had this pair of ocelaris clowns since Dec, 2014. They spawned a couple of weeks after I bought them. I dont know the age of the pair they were a trade in at the LFS. There first spawn I raised, but then they quit Spawning . In August this year they started to spawn again but would eat the spawn the same day. They have done this ever since they started of Spawning again. Has anyone ever seen this happen? Or have any solutions? Water, temp, light is fine I have another pair of clowns and a pair of neon gobies that have been Spawning on a regular basis. .

Mdoty
  • Total Posts : 156
  • Scores: 1
  • Reward points : 1044
Re:My ocelaris clowns eat there spawn the day they lay. what could be causing this? - Thursday, October 29, 2015 12:56 AM
The first  thing I think of is diet, but since your other clowns are spawning and not eating the eggs I would think thats not the issue. I have a pair of percs that have been laying infertile eggs and they eat the eggs. I know there infertile because they have a very milky white orange color instead of the bright orange color they should. Any chance the eggs are not fertile? Another idea is do they have tank mates that are stressing them? 

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:My ocelaris clowns eat there spawn the day they lay. what could be causing this? - Thursday, October 29, 2015 2:46 PM
Any medication in the past?

ray2111
Re:My ocelaris clowns eat there spawn the day they lay. what could be causing this? - Thursday, October 29, 2015 5:19 PM
Hi Mike, the eggs look good they are bright orange. I feed them rods food 3 to 4 times a day. And there are no other tank mates. Both fish appear to be healthy.

ray2111
Re:My ocelaris clowns eat there spawn the day they lay. what could be causing this? - Thursday, October 29, 2015 5:22 PM
Hi Luis, I'm not sure what meds they may have had in the past. They were a pair I picked up at a LFS. I have never medicated them since I've had them.

superfish
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Reward points : 183
Re:My ocelaris clowns eat there spawn the day they lay. what could be causing this? - Thursday, October 29, 2015 8:23 PM
IF the eggs look good at the first place. definitely not the diet or water issue. Those may affect the eggs, but you won't be able to notice the die off until 3~4 days later. 
Your situation happens to most new breeding pairs. most cases, the eggs are not fertilized.
if your pair lay on a stable regular cycle (10~20days a batch) & their new laid eggs look good. i would say the female is fine.(which is good). so the only problem i can think of is the male.
if they keep eating eggs, you may consider replace the male.

ray2111
Re:My ocelaris clowns eat there spawn the day they lay. what could be causing this? - Thursday, October 29, 2015 10:34 PM
Thanks Chris, I never gave up on them because the first time they spawned for me everything went good. They produced my first ocelaris babies. Hopefully I can catch them on there next spawn and pull the eggs and see what happens to the spawn.