Breeding Journal, Species: [Gonioplectrus hispanus] (Spanish Flag)

Amphispur
  • Total Posts : 417
  • Reward points : 853
Breeding Journal, Species: [Gonioplectrus hispanus] (Spanish Flag) - Sunday, November 8, 2015 1:50 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Gonioplectrus hispanus
Social Structure:  Pair
Size of Individuals:  Around 30cm
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  July 6, 2012

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Filtration Details: 
Water Changes: 
Water Temperature: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Other Tank Inhabitants: 

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  First seen around June 30th
Spawn Time of Day:  Early morning, at around 6-8am
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  Every Day
Courtship Details:  See thread
Egg Size:  ~800 microns
Egg Color:  Clear
Egg Count:  Roughly 200 or so eggs per spawn (if lucky)

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn:  1
Larvae Description:  Pro-larvae stage, no gut/eyes/mouth, etc.
Consecutive Hatch Dates:      

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Gonioplectrus hispanus] (Spanish Flag) - Sunday, November 8, 2015 2:06 PM
As some of you know, this summer I interned at the Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory down in Ruskin, under Kevin Barton and Eric Cassiano. At the internship, we worked with eggs of the Spanish Flag, where I made a collector and went down to the aquarium each day to collect them. I'm back at it, currently getting eggs every Friday and Saturday morning. It was/is interesting working with the larvae of this fish, as its never been done before, and I'm thankful the guys down at the FLAQ are still allowing me to collect them after the internship ended. My plan is to feed them parvo nauplii and possibly plankton tows as well to try and raise them. On top of this, I am getting more eggs of a different species which I should be able to post about in the upcoming week. Pictures will be rough, as I am only going to be able to get good ones of the larvae, when they hatch tomorrow. Today I got roughly 50-100 eggs from the pair, which on average is not TOO bad, but the amount fluctuates with them day by day. The most I've observed is a few hundred, but I have not seen these numbers for a while. Both at the internship and lately. I've currently got the eggs in a medium sized red bowl (roughly 2 gal), as I could not find any gray buckets at walmart lately  but I'll be keeping my eyes open. Air is on a few bubbles per second to just give the eggs a jostle and keep them afloat. Here is a video of their spawning behavior (taken at around 6am on a fine Tuesday this summer): 
https://youtu.be/vSyjh9IWKk4

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Gonioplectrus hispanus] (Spanish Flag) - Sunday, November 15, 2015 10:32 AM
So the eggs from last week didn't make it to hatching, due to any number of reasons (contamination from being in the garage, poor water quality, etc. etc.) so I am leaving the eggs in the container I got them from the Aquarium in, a ~2.5g cereal container. I plan on running air on them, one question I have is how much air do people generally put on pelagic eggs? At my internship we had maybe a few bubbles per second, but that was in a much larger tank than what I'm working with.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Gonioplectrus hispanus] (Spanish Flag) - Sunday, November 15, 2015 11:14 AM
I am not sure bubbling air is even needed for floating eggs.  If you put them in sterile warm water, they float near the surface, where air exchange with the water is already very good, and they should hatch without anything else, and in short order.
I am no expert, but that would be my thinking.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: [Gonioplectrus hispanus] (Spanish Flag) - Monday, November 16, 2015 5:11 AM
Thanks for the advice Kathy. I tried that last time to no avail, it could have been because the eggs were spawned about three hours before I started moving them (they're morning spawners). This time, however, I did get the eggs to hatch. Quick glance in it before school this morning showed only one larvae, but I'll look again when I get home. Here's a pic of the lil fella (very bad I know. Iphone pic + magnifying glass)