Breeding Journal, Florida Aquarium Tank 8.7D Egg Journal

Amphispur
  • Total Posts : 417
  • Reward points : 853
Breeding Journal, Florida Aquarium Tank 8.7D Egg Journal - Sunday, November 15, 2015 10:26 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Unknown, possibly Anthias
Social Structure:  Unknown
Size of Individuals:  Unknown
Age of Individuals:  Unknown
Date added to Tank:  Unknown

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Filtration Details: 
Water Changes: 
Water Temperature: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Other Tank Inhabitants: 

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 
Spawn Time of Day: 
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 
Courtship Details: 
Egg Size: 
Egg Color: 
Egg Count: 

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 
Hatch Time of Day: 
# Days after Spawn: 
Larvae Description: 
Consecutive Hatch Dates:      

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 
Size of Larval Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Florida Aquarium Tank 8.7D Egg Journal - Sunday, November 15, 2015 10:30 AM
Onto the second experimental larvae I am working with from the FLAQ. This one, I have been receiving larvae for the past two weekends, but it is unknown what they are. The list of broodstock is:
Two Flame cardinals (Apogon maculatus)
Two Pugnose seabass (Bullisicthys caribbaeus)
Eleven Red barbier (Hemanthias vivanus)
I'm pretty sure they are the red barbier, but this is just a guess. The microlens I ordered should be here in a few days so I can provide photos of the larvae (if they make it that long, as I am having somewhat trouble with keeping the eggs alive to hatching). This time, I have them in a cereal container, and I plan to keep them there until I can move them to my school tomorrow morning, as this is where I will be raising the larvae.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re: Breeding Journal, Florida Aquarium Tank 8.7D Egg Journal - Sunday, November 15, 2015 11:17 AM
If you can, please post pictures from a dissecting microscope (10-40x) of eggs and larvae.  It may be helpful to ID the species. What fun!

check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Reward points : 1504
Re: Breeding Journal, Florida Aquarium Tank 8.7D Egg Journal - Sunday, November 15, 2015 11:20 AM
If maculatus are like other cardinals, they are mouth brooders, so it may be unlikely to have floating eggs, assuming surface collection is how you are harvesting.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Florida Aquarium Tank 8.7D Egg Journal - Monday, November 16, 2015 5:07 AM
Kathy, I would, but it seems I'm out of a microscope for a little while, so until then the best I can do are iphone pictures with a magnifying glass (this will change very soon hopefully). It is surface collecting, I'll post a picture of my collector when I go back to the aquarium on Saturday.

mPedersen
  • Total Posts : 3450
  • Reward points : 1376
Re: Breeding Journal, Florida Aquarium Tank 8.7D Egg Journal - Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:16 PM
Could also be the seabass....especially since some of the smaller basses are hermaphroditic or even sequential hermaphrodites, and they are pelagic spawners too.

Amphispur
Re: Breeding Journal, Florida Aquarium Tank 8.7D Egg Journal - Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:36 PM
My thoughts too Matt. Unless I can get in there and video tape everything to see what spawns at night *highly unlikely* it looks like Ill just have to go with it. New attachment for the phone cam ein so I can take macro shots, but this weeks larvae did not make it past a few days post hatch ( I saw the last one on Tuesday, and there was only about three larvae that hatched). Next time I'll snag a better shot of the egg and larvae in all.