Scooter blenny eggs?

Lrood
  • Total Posts : 370
  • Scores: -1
  • Reward points : 880
Scooter blenny eggs? - Monday, December 7, 2015 4:56 PM
I think my scooter blennies may have spawned.  I collected a bunch of eggs in my overflow strainer this morning, and they didn't look exactly like my Coral Beauties.  This afternoon at about 18 hours post spawn, they have not yet hatched, but do show continued development (Coral Beauties always hatched within 16-18 hours).  They can be seen to wiggle their bodies a bit in the eggs.  If anyone can tell by looking if these are indeed scooters eggs, I would appreciate it.  I have seen them do some courtship dancing, but never an actual rise.  The only other potential pelagic spawners I would have are a pair of Bartlett anthias, but I have never seen anything close to spawning activity from them in over 3 years in my tank.
<message edited by Lrood on Monday, December 7, 2015 5:11 PM>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Lrood
Re:Scooter blenny eggs? - Monday, December 7, 2015 5:09 PM
Approx 18 hours post spawn (a guess based on my lights out time)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

Lrood
Re:Scooter blenny eggs? - Monday, December 7, 2015 5:14 PM
One other characteristic of these eggs is that they are not on the surface, but float in the water column.  They definitely do not settle to the bottom of the container.

edit - I just looked closer at them from the side of the small container, and while they are not right at the surface, they are all within 1 cm of the surface.
<message edited by Lrood on Monday, December 7, 2015 5:38 PM>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 2639
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 1504
Re:Scooter blenny eggs? - Monday, December 7, 2015 5:47 PM
were they connected in a string? Tom P. has scooters that do that.  Overflow turbulence may have detached them, though, in your case.
check out Kathy's Clowns, llc website:
http://kathysclowns.com
Captive bred clownfish and more
(Wholesale to the trade.)

Lrood
Re:Scooter blenny eggs? - Monday, December 7, 2015 6:14 PM
These were found in my overflow strainer - where my main tank drains into my sump. A pretty good deal of flow and I doubt they would have held together through the rough ride. Some are definitely still together though, unlike my coral beauty eggs. I put one on my stage micrometer, and they are 700-800 microns.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken

JoeDigiorgio
  • Total Posts : 278
  • Reward points : 823
Re:Scooter blenny eggs? - Monday, December 7, 2015 9:01 PM
Please explain your overflow strainer. I'm very curious about how I can collect eggs without being there the moment they are spawned.

Yes for what it's worth your description matches my notes on synchiropus eggs. They typically hatch the following night.

Lrood
Re:Scooter blenny eggs? - Monday, December 7, 2015 9:39 PM
Here is a pic of it. It's a 250 micron strainer designed to fit in a 5 gallon bucket (paint strainer). It is floating in styrofoam that I cut to fit it. The overflow from my tank drains directly into it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ken