Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge eibli

BillVance
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 81
Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge eibli - Tuesday, May 30, 2023 7:59 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Centropyge eibli
Social Structure: Trio, 2 females 1 male
Size of Individuals: females are 2-2.5" male is 4"
Age of Individuals: unknown, purchased together July 2021
Date added to Tank: July 2021

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 93 Gallon Display around 150g total volume
Substrate Details: bare bottom
Filtration Details: skimmer
Water Changes: 10% rarely.  Maybe every 3-6 months
Water Temperature: 81F
Lighting: AI Hydra 32 HD
Lighting Cycle: 15 hours on.  Peak intensity for only 5 hours
Other Tank Inhabitants: 2 clownfish in display, 2 Dracula gobies and a ruby red dragonette in sump

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: TDO pellets, Rods Breeder blend, Hikari Mega Marine Angel
Feeding Schedule: TDO 2 times a day, frozen 1 time a day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: Nov 1, 2021
Spawn Time of Day: last 30 minutes before lights out
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: Nightly.
Courtship Details: Usual Centropyge behavior.  For about half an hour the male swims aggressively in front of the female, flashing his fins to her.  He continuously moves from one female to the next.  Culminates in a rise with male perpendicular to the female with his lips next to her side. About 4 inches from the water surface gametes are released and they both dash to the bottom.
Egg Size: 800um round with an oil drop
Egg Color: Clear, oil drop is yellow
Egg Count: Collected eggs have ranged from less than 100 to over 500.

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 5/9/2023
Hatch Time of Day: early afternoon
# Days after Spawn: about 15 hours
Larvae Description: Pro-larvae are long and slender approximately 2mm in length.  They have both a yolk sac and an oil droplet. They do not yet have eyes or a mouth.
Consecutive Hatch Dates:  5/30/2023        

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 82F
Size of Larval Tank: First try was a 3 gallon fish bowl.  Now moving on to a 17 gallon round black tub
Substrate Details: bare bottom
Other Tank Decor: none
Filtration Details: none
Lighting: clip on incandescent light
Lighting Cycle: 14 on 10 off
Water Changes: First try included a 30% water change on day 3, followed by a mass die off.

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: A. tonsa nauplii 5/ml
Feeding Schedule: 

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start: 
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry: 

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

BillVance
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge eibli - Tuesday, May 30, 2023 8:00 AM
I am copying all of my information from the original Facebook posts for my first run and will begin documenting successive runs here.  I'm so glad MBI is back!

BillVance
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge eibli - Tuesday, May 30, 2023 8:04 AM
May 8, 2023
Hundreds of Eibli angelfish eggs collected tonight.

May 9, 2023
Not sure if I should just attach more photos to the original post or post new stuff. Once the email verification gets worked out on MBI I’ll def set up a journal over there. Anyway, we have little newborn eibli angel larvae.

May 9, 2023
My poor man’s MoLaRS sprang a leak so this will have to do. The majority of the eggs hatched so I moved them over. Small system here of only 10 liters, but it’s a first try so maybe I’ll learn something. Water is 81F, 300,000 cells/ml of T-iso, 31 salinity. 2,000,000 copepod eggs ready to be hatched as needed. I have no idea how much air to use though.

BillVance
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge eibli - Tuesday, May 30, 2023 8:17 AM
May 10, 2023
24 hours post hatch. Looks like eyeballs are developing along with other internal structures. Avier J Montalvo do you think they will be ready for first foods tomorrow evening or wait until Friday. I’ll probably start hatching out naups tonight so some will be ready tomorrow just in case.

May 11, 2023
48 hour update. Larvae look good. A pic on a scale to see size, and another just because it’s easier to see structures. Eyes are developing. Definitly saw something beating/fluttering. From the angle and my limited knowledge I don’t know if it’s gills or heart. Also included a shot of what they look like to the naked eye, that little glowing threadlike thing in the middle of the counting chamber. Fishbowl has been stocked with prey items. Live naups 4/ml and another 4/ml of eggs that should hatch over the next 12 hours maybe sooner because of the higher temp in the fishbowl.

BillVance
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge eibli - Tuesday, May 30, 2023 8:20 AM
May 12, 2023
Day 3 update. Lots of larvae floating around in the fishbowl. I pulled a couple of samples or water to count prey items and only counted 2/ml, down from a definite 4/ml and possible 8/ml based on how many live naups and eggs I added. Some or most of this must be die off, I can’t imagine 20,000 naups were eaten yesterday. So a couple questions for those who have been here before. Avier J Montalvo Kathy Leahy Karen Brittain Ramon Villaverde what do typical feed rates look like? If I have 200 larvae in there, 20,000 missing naups would be 100/larvae, I can’t imagine that’s right? Also when should I be thinking about a water change? I would hope the isochrysis would take care of the NH3/NH4 but as a good friend once said “hope is not a course of action”. Also, video and another pic!

May 13, 2023
Day 4. Larvae numbers are less this morning. If I had to put a number on it I’d say 1/3 less. The clip I was using to hold my airline in the tank slid off last night sometime and the bubbler was barely in the water. Maybe it had something to do with it. I also did a water change of about 20% so that may have done it, and they are also reaching starvation age I believe so maybe that was it too…. I have no clue. Naups are at 5/ml after an addition this morning, also had to add iso to bring the turbidity up to about 500,000 cells/ml. Was hoping to see some blood vessels forming this morning but I don’t think anything is there.

May 14, 2023
Well the good news is, I have a fishbowl with a wonderful culture of Acartia tonsa in it. The bad news is there are no more Eibli larvae alive. Not sure what happened. Next try will be in a 17 gallon brt so I can just add water to dilute instead of a real water change, that means more food items though. Also thinking of turning the temp down a degree Fahrenheit. If I’m home tonight in time I’ll pull eggs for sure!

BillVance
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge eibli - Tuesday, May 30, 2023 8:24 AM
Double post sorry.
<message edited by BillVance on Tuesday, May 30, 2023 4:16 PM>

BillVance
Re: Breeding Journal, Species: Centropyge eibli - Monday, June 5, 2023 7:46 AM
About 600 hundred fertilized eggs waiting to hatch this morning. I went back and looked at when my last large fertilized spawn was and it was 1 day before the full moon.  Last night was 1 day after the full moon.  I've collected or tried to collect on most night in between the two and have had other very large egg collections but they were mostly or completely unfertilized, and I've had much smaller spawn numbers on other nights with varying amounts of fertilization somewhere in the 0-30% range.  Maybe it's just a coincidence, I don't know.
Image of about 400 eggs if my count is right.
https://i.ibb.co/QPtRpJ6/IMG-2084.jpg