Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 81 to 90 of 90 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
nrbelk
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 216
Re:Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch - Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:49 PM
Also, if you are using completely different water than the broodstock water, how do you acclimate the eggs?  Do you need to put anything under the eggs like a bubbler or something to help them hatch or just put them in the water and wait?

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch - Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:53 PM
Eggs are really hardy. Larvae are much less so.
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

goat585
  • Total Posts : 98
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 481
Re:Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch - Tuesday, March 5, 2013 8:23 PM
I don't acclimate either the eggs or the new larvae to the new water.  Does not seem to cause an issue for me so far.  If I transfer the eggs I have to bubble them to keep them from getting fungus on them and to help them hatch.

Reef Stew
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 34
Re:Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch - Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:58 PM
Really good thread & I have had some of the same problems. Last year averaging 250 fry at 1 month & 6 months ago problems. I have stopped using green water & have better results. Enriching rotifers in the am with RG complete & feeding 4 hours later & in the evening enriching rotifers with Dan's feed overnight. Got a batch of Ocellaris moved into the grow out with a total of 362. I always used sterile bleached tanks & aged new sw.

Labpadre
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 22
Re:Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch - Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:24 PM
Hello. New Here.
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using live fresh natural sea water from the ocean for feeding. I just had a clutch hatch tonight of Tomato Clowns and have been using natural sea water in the parents tank since day 1. After a water change in the nursery tank I add 1 gallon of natural sea water.
I have inspected 1/4 of a drop of the natural sea water collected under a microscope and can see live rotifer and phytoplankton movement. So, I assume a gallon will have millions. Of course, there is always the possibilty of so kind of contamination but I choose my water collection locations carefully. 
So anyway, thanks for any input.

luis a m
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 1249
Re:Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch - Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:40 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Labpadre

Hello. New Here.
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using live fresh natural sea water from the ocean for feeding. I just had a clutch hatch tonight of Tomato Clowns and have been using natural sea water in the parents tank since day 1. After a water change in the nursery tank I add 1 gallon of natural sea water.
I have inspected 1/4 of a drop of the natural sea water collected under a microscope and can see live rotifer and phytoplankton movement. So, I assume a gallon will have millions. Of course, there is always the possibilty of so kind of contamination but I choose my water collection locations carefully. 
So anyway, thanks for any input.

It is remarkable your report because Brachionus rotifers are not supposed to occur in open sea water.However many years ago,I did find B.plicatilis in Port Aransas seafront.Everybody I asked was sure that they should have escaped from the nearby Institute.

Labpadre
Re:Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch - Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:22 PM
It is actually bay water. I select a nice undisturbed and remote location where algae and seaweed thrive. This clutch that hatced last night did not make it. The female consumed over half and by the time I got the rock over to the nursery tank I only had about 10-15. Within 4 hours they all died. Strangely, I could not find any dead bodies.
We'll see how the next clutch comes along. 

Umm_fish?
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Scores: 10
  • Reward points : 953
Re:Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch - Saturday, April 20, 2013 10:39 AM
Quote Originally Posted by
Strangely, I could not find any dead bodies.

Did you look carefully for hydroids?
--Andy, the bucket man.
"Not to know the mandolin is to argue oneself unknown...." --Clara Lanza, 1886

Labpadre
Re:Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch - Monday, April 22, 2013 12:18 AM
I looked for anything with distinct size. The only thing that is in the nursery water is microscopic. Maybe some copapods as well.
On a different subject my three seahorses in a different tank devour anything that moves in their tank from the bay. They are wild caught and also eat frozen brine and playkton.
I also use the natural sea water for my 125G reef. I do use fresh salt water sometimes too. I have two 55 gallon drums that I use for processing both fresh and natural sea water, along with kalkified fresh top off.

nrbelk
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Scores: -2
  • Reward points : 216
Re:Losing Clownfish larvae After first 8 hours after hatch - Monday, June 3, 2013 7:05 PM
Man, even though I've read through this before, I was glad I was able to find it to read through it again as I've been having problems getting fry to live past their first day.

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 81 to 90 of 90 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version