Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans )

rgrking
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Scores: 22
  • Reward points : 446
Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) - Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:21 PM
A quick question on the classification of this as a C. It's never been done by a hobbyist. It has been done in captivity, but in laboratories with Dr's working on it. Shouldn't this be classed as a D? The food is pretty easy for this animal, but it's making it past meta that's the hard part. Just thought I'd ask.

thanks
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) - Monday, October 17, 2011 8:10 AM
anyone?
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Chelle's Ocean
  • Total Posts : 399
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 242
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Friday, December 2, 2011 1:28 PM
Sorry to jump in... but I have a question as I am offered a great deal on a mated pair and want to know (1) how do you tell male/female.. is there something I am looking for on the underneath/belly area? Coloration? Pattern? (2) how do you know they are mated..and not just a male and a female that may not be mated? Do they show signs (i.e. clowns staying close to each other?) Any help on this will be very much appreciated - thanks
Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Friday, December 2, 2011 3:46 PM
yep. here's about the easiest site to see and get info on for harlequins. he's not pursuing this right now do to other reasons, but I've been staying in touch with him about my pair. He's got a lot of knowledge to share.

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/harlequinshrimp.html
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Friday, December 2, 2011 8:23 PM
Thanks! That's the exact site I found at work (sorry I didn't pull it up before posting here..my bad )
I got the pair, according to the site, from what I can tell - male/female...along with the star they were feasting on- they are eating very well for being small
Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Saturday, December 3, 2011 9:06 AM
That's awesome. Just remember if you add any more they will kill each other. two males can live together. a male and a female, but not two males and a female.

They are amazing creatures. I ended up with two males. I can't find a wholeseller that will sex them for me. Been trying for months now. I'm thinking of buying another two just in case one ends up being a female. I have plenty of tanks for them, and thank God plenty of stars.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Sunday, December 4, 2011 6:00 PM
No.... I promise, lol, not adding any more to this tank..although I may get more..and place them in their own tanks - they are so cool to watch.
Check out my video on youtube if you want to see them.. it is abit long, so not wanting to take up your space here in your post: (my screen name on youtube is volitans2007 , look for the video "December 2, 2011")
Thanks for the info
Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Sunday, December 4, 2011 6:10 PM
I'll check it out!!!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Pickle
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 46
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Monday, December 5, 2011 8:04 AM
Chelle - I know you stated you where looking at wholesalers - recently (this week) Liveaqauria, Divers Den was offering Harlequins under two listings one for males and one for females.  May be easier then ordering 2 more and hoping you get the right one. \

Good Luck

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Monday, December 5, 2011 8:38 AM
Actually it was me, but thank you!!! I'll check it out.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Monday, December 5, 2011 8:41 PM
Here's a question.

some species of shrimp and fish...etc. can change sex. Are harlequins able to do this?
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

FuEl
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 77
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 8:32 AM
You need a kreisel for these guys.

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:37 AM
I got one and it's so easy and cheap, I'm mad I didn't do it earlier.

It's a betta home that I picked up at petsmart. It's the perfect shape. Just wish it was a little larger. Some rigid tubing placed on one side of it makes a perfect current in there.

here's a link to it
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=oval+betta+bowl&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9233717250026537498&sa=X&ei=1ETeTvHbMsX42gXT5fiYBQ&ved=0CF0Q8wIwAg#
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

FuEl
  • Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 77
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:42 AM
Glad it works for you. There was a Japanese who succeeded with this species once but I think the website is not around anymore. He used a kreisel as well. Copepods helped a lot according to him, besides the usual Artemia.

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 9:49 AM
Dr Sid Kraul also bred them successfully. I've been in touch with him a few times about these.

Has anyone heard if they can switch sexes though? I swear I had two males, as did everyone that saw the pics.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points : 1003
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:09 AM
Quote Originally Posted by FuEl

There was a Japanese who succeeded with this species once but I think the website is not around anymore.

Bandeng knows him and said he intends to up the website again, just not yet. I think I have a link to some pictures he sent me. I look into it later.

Hey Junkai, tell us more about this black clown on your avatar !
Anderson.

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:13 AM
Cool tank! Can we see it in action ...... I have seen other's attempts, a very cool idea
Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:24 AM
When I get home tonight I'll snap some shots and hoepfully a video.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:29 AM
Cool.... Get busy and become successful, lol! I will be following to see what steps to take when mine are ready hee hee (I pray I will be able to have lil babies with this pair, lol) They are too cute! Looking for more info online....
Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:30 AM
pm me your email and I'll forward the checklist that Dr Kraul sent me tonight as well.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

aomont
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points : 1003
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:01 AM
What are you feeding the parents ?
Anderson.

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:00 PM
The parents are just eating the little white stars out of my tank. There are still thousands of them in there.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:01 PM
COMMERCIAL CULTURE OF THE HARLEQUIN SHRIMP Hymenocera picta AND OTHER ORNAMENTAL MARINE SHRIMPS

Syd Kraul

Harlequin shrimp are fairly rare in Hawaii and therefore fetch a good price ($7-10 each) to the diver or aquaculturist. After shipping, retail price can be as much as $50 or more per shrimp. Limits to commercial production are primarily market demand. With over 1,000 shrimp in stock, our distributor could only sell more than 100 shrimp per month, primarily in Asia. This market might be expanded to other areas, but it doesnt seem likely that this single species would support a business. There are also rumors that mass quantities of similar shrimp are available from Central America and Africa at greatly reduced prices.

Adult Harlequin Shrimp are long lived and docile, and spawn every 3 weeks at 25 degrees Celsius. Females produce 200-5,000 eggs per spawn, attaching them to their pleopods (abdominal plates) for incubation. The eggs, about 0.8 by 0.6mm, are red when first deposited. A few days before the female molts, the previous batch of eggs hatches out to begin the planktonic larval phase. Newly hatched larvae are 0.64mm wide and O.43mm high at the cephalothorax (head and chest), and 1.4mm long, in their naturally flexed posture (2.3mm stretched out straight). The first few days, these zoeae have close-set eyes, and do not require food. After the first larval molt, their eyes protrude on stalks, and they begin feeding on plankton. We provide them with rotifers, copepods, brine shrimp, and phytoplankton throughout their larval life. Rearing success is greatly improved when copepods are included in the larval diet, as is the case for all marine larvae we have raised. These larvae have relatively stringent water quality requirements, and are more difficult to raise than small damselfishes.

After 4-8 weeks, larvae are about 3mm long and 2mm wide, and have branched pleopods, indicating that they have reached their final (mysid) larval stage. They are now ready to settle out of the plankton, and metamorphose into benthic shrimp. The benthic transition appears to be an important determinant of final survival. Healthy batches of larvae will all survive and grow to adults. Unhealthy batches may metamorphose and begin feeding, but suffer heavy losses within a week or two. Although artificial feeds might improve the marketability of Harlequin shrimp, the only feed that has worked for us is live sea stars, preferably Linckia spp. Harlequin shrimp were once proposed as “saviors of the reef” because they are able to eat the reef destroying Crown of Thorns starfish. In Kona, Crown-of-Thorns are the most readily available stars, so they are our primary feed.

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:39 PM

RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:49 PM
Any clue on what to think if one goes A.W.O.L.? I am missing the smaller one, the one that had more rose/pink in color... I am hoping that maybe it just found shelter in a crevice of a rock I can't see... to molt maybe? Do they do this? I have not seen it for the past 2 days- I am not wanting to take my rock out and disturb everything..(but I am getting anxious, lol).. so I put a new star in this evening, in hopes of luring it out - the blue one came right away. Any ideas? It's a biocube.. male mandarin, the 2 harlequins, and the 2 albino clowns- nothing else except a couple tiny tiny blue leg hermits, and the remnants of the choco chip star. Not able to get out of the tank, not in the filter, or overflow (I checked) ...nothing would have attacked it. And I don't see the body anywhere with peeking into the rocks/caves.... any ideas?
Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:31 PM
I pulled out every rock... so sad. No trace of the shrimp (he/she) is M.I.A.) I want to cry
Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:47 PM
I sure hope it shows up for you. You just never know with these things. I've had them up on the sides of the tank, near the top too, when those little stars were out and about.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:07 PM
Thanks- I just read that , lol, and ran to the tank to check.... nothing. I hope it turns up ... I will be very sad, but even more confused- where the (bleep) could it have gone to?
Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:38 PM
have you seen any recent molts? Do your fish gobble them up?

and I just went to look for mine and couldn't find either. I'm sure they are there though.

They molt about ever 16 to 18 days, if things are right.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:01 PM
No molt that I know of, was just a guess
No evidence of a molt.
No sign today of the MIA culprit
Still looking every morning/evening... was thinking of adding (another) star to maybe coax her out.. a buffet!
Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:33 PM
Mine have been coming out in the evening or at night. I sure hope you find yours though.
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Arc Katana
  • Total Posts : 929
  • Scores: 19
  • Reward points : 1293
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Saturday, December 24, 2011 7:54 AM
Just re-reading this thread again - I've got a pair with a huge female who is tending eggs, hoping to give them a shot.  Thanks for the links!

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:18 AM
how awesome!!!

Keep a good journal for us!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:41 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Arc Katana

Just re-reading this thread again - I've got a pair with a huge female who is tending eggs, hoping to give them a shot.  Thanks for the links!

Michelle  

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:42 PM
Awesome - cool Christmas surprise
Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:21 PM
I was catching my clown fry tonight. I noticed something odd floating with them. I found my pair. My female had her tail tucked under her and was fanning a ton. I snagged a video. I don't think it's in good focus, but it's the best I could do under a blue light. I have tons of Harlequin larvae!!!!!!

I got both the parents in the shot too. I'm so excited!!!!
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef

Chelle's Ocean
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Thursday, December 29, 2011 4:29 AM
That is so great Happy for you...can't wait to read the next post
Michelle  

rgrking
Re:Harlequin Shrimp (Hymenocera elegans ) * - Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:53 AM
I added it to my journal
RLTW

180 Gallon Mixed Reef