Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus]

kizanne
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points : 141
Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Monday, January 22, 2018 11:24 PM
Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species:  Erectus
Social Structure:  male female pair
Size of Individuals:  5 inches
Age of Individuals:  Unsure purchased as pair
Date added to Tank:  Mid December 2017

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank:  70 gallons
Substrate Details:  Sandy zones and rubble zones
Filtration Details:  Skimmer/ Refugium/ chaeto/ other macro Algaes
Water Changes:  As needed currently 10 gallons / week
Water Temperature:  74 F
Lighting:  4 T-3
Lighting Cycle:  14 hours
Other Tank Inhabitants:  one small dragonface pipefish grass shrimp others to be added
After 2nd hatch 2nd dragonface pipefish added, 3 tangoria gobies, 2 yasha gobies

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types:  Frozen mysid tank also stocked and aged with amphipods and Copepods live mysid (those have been hunted and eaten) grass shrimp fire worms and other small fauna
Feeding Schedule:  X2 daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:  best of my knowledge 1-22-2018
Spawn Time of Day:  Unknown spilled eggs found at 5pm
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:  Unknown
Courtship Details:  Have been dancing before this and attempted 12/28 and 1/6
Egg Size:  Small
Egg Color:  Orange
Egg Count:  unknown 25 or so found spilled in tank

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:   2/7/2018
Hatch Time of Day:  7:30 am - unknown
# Days after Spawn:   16 days, 14 days (temp around 75 or 76), 16 days (temp around 73)
Larvae Description:                    small duplicates of the parents
Consecutive Hatch Dates:       2/22/2018, 3/10/2018, 3/27/18, 4/12/18

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:   room temp = 73 or so
Size of Larval Tank:  1st attempt a 1/2 gallon jar. 2nd attempt 1 1/2 square bucket
Substrate Details:  none at the moment
Other Tank Decor:  none in nursery, chaeto and plastic grass in intermediate tub
Filtration Details:  none in nursery, chaeto in intermediate tub
Lighting:               Top tank portable work light with adjustable brightness           
Lighting Cycle:   15 hr. on / 9 hours off
Water Changes:  30% twice a day for nursery, limited in intermediate tub

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:    rotifers  L and S , tisbe, parvocalanus, ciliates, T-iso  1st day,  added newly hatched San Francisco brine for 1 wk, newly hatched regular brine (and a day or two old) after with tisbe and tigger pods
Feeding Schedule:  2 times daily

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:  settled right away.
Days after Hatch: 
Date of Settlement End: 
Description of Fry:  miniature of parent but very pale tan

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature: 
Size of Grow-Out Tank: 
Substrate Details: 
Other Tank Decor: 
Filtration Details: 
Lighting: 
Lighting Cycle: 
Water Changes: 
Size at Transfer: 
Age at Transfer: 

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types: 
Feeding Schedule: 

Additional Information

(No Pictures or Videos in the Section Please)
Miscellaneous Information: 

You will be required to provide photographic or video evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports. PHOTOS AND VIDEO S MUST BE PLACED IN ADDITIONAL POSTS, NEVER IN THE FIRST POST IN A JOURNAL.

<message edited by kizanne on Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:26 PM>

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:41 AM
Godiva (male)

Godiva and Waldo (it's hard but find their entwined tails.)  There's a reason I'm always saying where's Waldo.  She hides good.   

Movie of their attempt 1/6
  https://youtu.be/wxpZfTd2jxk

Have to be in full screen to see the ascending.

Spilled eggs from the 1/22/18  spawn

<message edited by kizanne on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 11:31 AM>

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:14 AM
So sometime around Christmas I got this pair of captive bred horses.  Shortly after they started the flashing of colors and some ascension though they seemed to not know what they were doing.  At that time I wasn't sure of the sexes.  As time has passed his pouch has become more puffy/soft and it is more apparent. 

The male was lithe from the beginning and that worried me.  They both eat frozen mysid and the tank is stocked with various live foods as well.

On the 22nd I found a few spilled eggs in the tank.  And upon inspection I'm sure they are Seahorse eggs (and they are too large for anything else).  After the egg find the girl is much smaller so I'm more confident in the sexes now.

What I don't know is did any make it in the pouch?  His pouch is now much smaller than it was on the 22nd but the area is still softer looking and a little puffy.

I will plan on babies sometime between the 7th and the 12th.  I'll start hatching brine and try to ramp up the rotifers and copepods.  I have some space and time constraints that may get in the way.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:44 PM
Well today is 3 days after the spawn.  By my reading if he wasn't pregnant then his pouch would be deflated and he'd not be puffy in that area.  He is still puffy meaning from the dead front his pouch area is wider than his main body.

I believe he has some fry in there and while it will be difficult with space and time.  I'm going to try my first attempt at Erectus.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Sunday, January 28, 2018 10:46 PM
His pouch is getting larger so pretty sure he's pregnant.  He is also displaying the expected behaviors.  He is more reclusive, hanging out in the darker, lower flow, open cave of my setup.  He is also increased his feeding.

I'm gathering together supplies for a nursery.  Got a 29 high and a diamond drill bit in hopes of plumbing it to a 20 long below.  I have taken some tisbes and put them in a few containers with T-iso and a sponge for breeding.  Bought some more black sponges to go in my amphipod tank.  The tisbe's seem to reproduce well in the amphipod tank inside the sponge.  My copepod/mysid tank is currently quarantine for some gobies.  I have rotifers that I've treated like crap so I need to ramp them up but I don't have any paste.  I'm off to buy some san frans baby brine eggs.

I'm really hoping for a late expel (20 days).  I've read anywhere from 15-21 for erectus depending on temp.  current tank temp is 74 degrees.

Here he's asking me.  Do these babies make me look fat?

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Thursday, February 01, 2018 9:29 PM
Well the San Francisco strain of brine arrived today. 

I've ramped up the rotifers with the little bit of live algae I have.  I have some small jars with tisbe copepods but they have gotten infested with rotifers.  I'm getting some parvocalanus soon.   I had some but not nearly enough.  I also ordered some tigger pods to increase the diversity of foods for the parents.

This weekend I am going to try to get the tank set up and seed it with T-iso and the parvos and tisbes.    

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:55 AM
Ok so my male started releasing sometime this morning.  When I went to feed him at 7 am  sometime in there I noticed  he was gyrating.  Then I found a baby.  I managed to collect about 15 before I had to go to work.  That was all I saw in the tank but I'm not sure he was done releasing.

My larval tank is not up and running yet.  the stand pipe was in but I hadn't filled it with salt so we put in as much water as we could and added salt so that we can adjust this evening.

In the mean time.  I had some tisbe's I had been collecting and concentrating.  and a few rotifers.  I had shrimp but it wasn't  'new' bb so I didn't use it.  I put the babies in 1/2 gallon glass jar, some prime, most of my tisbe cultures, and some t-iso, nano, tetra and just a few rotifers.  

Today in the mail is supposed to be a lot of parvocalanus and s strain rotis

I already have one dead.  I found it floating in the parent tank.  Not sure what I'll do tonight but I'll keep you posted.

<message edited by kizanne on Wednesday, February 07, 2018 11:06 AM>

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Wednesday, February 07, 2018 11:00 AM

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Wednesday, February 07, 2018 12:43 PM
This picture of the baby almost looks like his belly is caved in.  But what is the starvation age for erectus fry?  unless he was expelled last night he shouldn't be at starvation.    The picture was taken around 8 am only 1 hour after I saw fry in the tank.  Even if he spit them out with lights on that is 6:30 am should this one have starved in 1 1/2 hours?

Of course fry can die for any old reason but the starvation question has been vexing me and I've only found one piece of information that says like 18 hours but it wasn't a scientific paper or anything so I've been trying to find other information.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Thursday, February 08, 2018 7:46 AM
Well got home and had some losses.  Had to change things around since everything was last minute yesterday.  This morning all were dead.  

I'm sure I'll have more to play with soon enough.

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 3358
  • Reward points : 1978
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Friday, February 09, 2018 9:25 PM
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear.
Owner of Kathy's Clowns, LLC

Yes, we have no more clownfish.  
We have no more clownfish today!

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Tuesday, February 13, 2018 10:29 PM
Well he looking like he's holding again.  Not sure when he got knocked up but I'm expecting release from the 24th to 28th.  So I'll start bbs morning and night batches from the 23rd on.  However, just as I got the larval tank seeded with t-iso I decided to use it for quarantining some mandarins.  A beautiful girl and boy who seem to already be in love.  Now I just need to keep them alive until I can wean them to frozen.

Not sure how this will be effecting the babies.  They might end up Mandarin food.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Thursday, February 22, 2018 11:47 AM
Sigh * so this morning you guessed it babies.  15 days after the last batch, so preggers the same day and 1 day faster.  I had it on my calendar to start bbs shrimp this morning to have fresh ones for tomorrow and every 12 hours after that. 

Missed it by 'that' much.

I got about 30 babies.  I put them in a 1.5 gallon container with some t-iso and a couple thousand parvocalanus.  This evening any still alive I'll add some enriched rotifers L-strain more parocalanus and some tisbe's.  Then if they survive to morning I'll have bbs then.

And for the 3rd time (next time) I'll be ready for 14 days LOL

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Friday, February 23, 2018 8:11 AM
So excited, they are all still alive.  I expected some to die off over night as they didn't all look like they had full bellies last night.  Put in a some more parvocalanus and a few rotifers (not many)  and some bbs.  Did a 50% water change last night and added some fresh parent tank water this morning.  Using Prime as well.

My tank I had designed for larva was growing very thick with T-iso but has become infested with rotifers and is running high ammonia and the T-iso is clearing.  This weekend if I have time I'll work on some rehab for this tank.  It also has adult brine shrimp, parvocalanus and tisbe's in there.  I have some netting of different sizes, I think I'll try straining the output from the pump for several hours with like a 220 micron or if I have one a 150 microns.  Then the seahorses can have the output of that.  The rots will be full of t-iso and the copepods are good nutrition.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Thursday, March 01, 2018 2:45 PM
So it is one week later and I have only lost 3 babies in that week.  I am switching them over to the larger (normal) baby brine shrimp.  There are still some tisbes in the container but some get sucked out each day when I remove the refuse from the bottom of the container. They have gotten bigger hubby thinks it is almost twice as big but I don't know they still look small to me. They'll hitch but I am keeping the tank bare for ease of cleaning and feeding.  I do a 30% water change in the morning and evening most days.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Wednesday, March 07, 2018 3:16 PM
a few days ago I switched them over to a larger shallow bin.  I've added some chaeto and some plastic grass for hitching.  They have some tisbe can tigger copepods.  I feed them twice a day with bbs shrimp though some of the brine are not newly hatched.  I've been trying to give them some frozen copepods and TDO.  Only a few seem interested.  Next week I'll start really trying to get them switched over non-living food. though there will always be a few copepods in the tank to keep them active in the day, to eat left over food and to provide better nutrition.

Oh and my boy is due again Thursday 3/8 but I've lowered the tank temp so maybe he'll hold off til Saturday when it is more convenient.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Wednesday, March 07, 2018 3:38 PM
12 days old.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Sunday, March 25, 2018 2:30 PM
Well 1/2 way to 60 days.  Today is day 31.

I have many still alive.  I haven't counted since the last large die off due to some algal/gas bubble problems.  I'd estimate I have 15-20 left.  They like to hide in the chaeto so...

I'm upgrading their tank today after I get it cleaned out.  So another big change coming today.  And I hope with new tank I'll get the energy to try to switch to frozen (and keeping the tank cleaned after).

Next batch should arrive tomorrow.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Monday, March 26, 2018 11:38 AM
at 15 days beside new born

New housing at 31 days  20 long split into 2 10 gallons with and air lift.

Fishtal
  • Total Posts : 5771
  • Reward points : 3570
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:50 AM
Awe! Makes me want to work with seahorses again!
http://www.fishtalpropagations.com/#!home/mainPage
"Making captive breeding easier."

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Friday, April 06, 2018 11:59 AM
I have really started pushing the dead food.  I'm putting in a combo of ROE, golden pearls, frozen cyclopeze, and tdo.  I've been doing that for about a week and then following with baby brine after.  Now I'm trying to get the courage to stop the baby brine.  

With all that dead food and me not being the best housekeeper their ammonia is a challenge flirting with 0.5 but I'm using prime and I've added some more macro algae to the 'other' side which has brought it down to 0.25

18 more day til 60 dph.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Friday, April 06, 2018 10:31 PM
They are beautiful! Congratulations!

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Saturday, April 07, 2018 6:05 PM
Thank you.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:20 AM
Well the ammonia is back under control registering veryyyyy close to 0.

I have now been 4 days without adding any live food.  There maybe some copepods left in the chaeto but certainly not enough to feed 20 seahorses for 4 days.  Not sure what day I can claim they are weaned to non-living foods but 4 days seems like a long time.  They also still look healthy.  Right now they are on dead copepods, eggs and golden pearls only because I don't feel like shaving mysid 2x per day.  I'll do that later or use the soft frozen mysid when they get a little bigger.

Next batch this weekend maybe tomorrow.  Though this time I don't know what day they swapped eggs.  I'm assuming the same day a the release which is what appears to have happened in the past based on dropped eggs.  Now if any eggs drop my mandarin will eat them.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:24 PM
So of course I was expecting babies tomorrow through the weekend, so when I got home tonight they were in the sump. 

This batch got some brine (not a lot). some rotifers, some tisbe pods and a little nannocloropsis.  Hopefully they'll be ok, the last sump batch seems to be doing ok.

I haven't found any dead from my oldest batch but there seems to be less in the tank.  I suspect maybe the formosa babylonia that I put in for clean up but haven't see him do anything or found any dead so maybe they are just hiding in the chaeto.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Friday, August 03, 2018 2:58 PM
So the oldest couple batches are all now on hakari mysid.  I've put in a few of the smaller ones so I'm still giving frozen copepods but I'm mostly putting in the frozen mysid.  All see to be doing ok.  I've shipped 6 and they all survived.  My largest is about 2 1/2".

He keeps having a pouch that looks like he's carrying but I'm missing babies.  Not sure if he's not carrying or if the other tank inhabitants are getting better at eating them.

KathyL
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Friday, August 03, 2018 5:46 PM
Congratulations on raising them! 

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Sunday, August 26, 2018 7:30 PM

Here is a recent picture of some of the young adults.

kizanne
Re:Breeding Journal, Species: [Hippocampus erectus] - Sunday, August 26, 2018 7:41 PM
Here's some with a ruler.  They wouldn't hold still.  And it is from several weeks ago.  They are bigger now.