Artificial fertilization for hybridization

tannersmith2000
  • Total Posts : 381
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 592
Artificial fertilization for hybridization - Monday, July 04, 2016 8:25 PM
I am sure there are those in the ornamental fish breeding world using artificial fertilization techniques already or at least experimenting for the use of developing hybrids. I am an avid trout fisherman and know that our local hatcheries produce tiger trout by milking a male brown trout and mixing the sperm and eggs of a female brook trout. With trout it is easy to milk a male fish and to massage the abdomen of a gravid female trout to expel the eggs. Can this be done with marine ornamental fishes?

The obvious obstacle is the small size of many ornamental fish and using that technique of milking a male or massaging (gently squeezing) a gravid female's abdomen seems dangerous or tedious. With pomacanthus angels of mature size this seems like a possible endeavor. I am just curious what others thoughts are concerning artificial fertilization. 

Perhaps the use of hormones or other drugs to induce spawning or gamete expulsion could be used as well. I am totally ignorant in this area but I am sure there is some research in this area somewhere.

I know hybridization can be controversial but it is interesting nonetheless.  

Thoughts?

KathyL
  • Total Posts : 3431
  • Scores: 13
  • Reward points : 2066
Re:Artificial fertilization for hybridization - Monday, July 04, 2016 10:27 PM
They do it with zebrafish in research all time.
Owner of Kathy's Clowns, LLC

Yes, we have no more clownfish.  
We have no more clownfish today!