Culture Journal, Species: Pseudodiaptomus Pelagicus

Author Message
tannersmith2000
  • Total Posts : 381
  • Reward points : 591
  • Joined: 3/27/2015
  • Location: GATE CITY, VA, US
Culture Journal, Species: Pseudodiaptomus Pelagicus - Friday, July 29, 2016 9:00 AM
Culturing Journal DataSheet


General
Species:  Pseudodiaptomus Pelagicus
Species description: Medium sized copepod similar looking to Parvocalanus Crassirostris that is pelagic in nature as nauplii but seem to be more bethnic once they reach adulthood. 
Culture source (link if possible):  Seahorse Source
If algae, CCMP # (Optional): 
http://ccmp.bigelow.edu/
Culture Establishment Date:  7/8/2016
Continuation Date: 

Culturing Vessel Details
Salinity:  1.023
Temperature: Ambient ~70F
*I was told that they do better with warmer temperatures but at ~70F, they are doing pretty well. My fish room is in the basement and it hardly gets warmer that 72F. 
pH:  N/A

Vessel description:  One gallon rubbermaid storage container
Lighting description:  Ambient (window lighting)
Lighting cycle:  Ambient 
Aeration description:  One to two bubbles per second (same as culturing parvocalanus)
 
Feeding Regimen  
Feeding: 
Protocol as of July 8, 2016 

I do not measure the amount of isochrysis I feed them. I give about two-three squirts (depending on how dense it looks to me)  of isochrysis a day to each culture. If I can maintain a density to match that of a very light tea color, I have a lot of success. The squirts measure anywhere between 10-20 ml depending on density. 

 
Methodologies 
Split methodology: 
Protocol as of July 8, 2016 
At around the 10-14 day mark, my copepod density is at least 25-30 per ml. I siphon about 25-30% of one 1 gallon culture using 250 micron sieve and use those sub adult/adult pods to inoculate a new culture in a 1 gallon container. The rest of the pods (roughly 70%) get fed directly to larvae (sieved with a 120 micron mesh) or get dosed directly to my tanks.   

Culture medium description:  
Protocol as of July 8, 2016 
I just make new saltwater using instant ocean and keep the specific gravity around 1.023-1.025. I perform 100% water changes every 10-14 days and inoculate with 25-30% of a previous dense culture that consists of adults.  

Reference links:  

Additional Information

Notes: 
When I ordered this culture, I was instructed by Kathy Leahy to make sure they sent me the copepods in a breathable bag because they do not do well in bottles when in transit longer than 24 hours. Instead the lady insisted that they would be fine in a bottle. When I received the package, at least 70% were DOA. I could only see some small nauplii scooting around in the water column. I started my culture from the ones alive of course and they took off with ease. Ask for a breathable bag when they ship them if transit is longer and 24 hours. That would be my suggestion but nonetheless I was able to successfully culture these copepods with the few I had in the bottle. 
 
They are a rather large calanus copepod and appear to be awesome candidates for latter staged larval fish. 
 
I was told that they do better with warmer temperatures but at ~70F, they are doing pretty well. My fish room is in the basement and it hardly gets warmer that 72F.  
<message edited by tannersmith2000 on Friday, July 29, 2016 9:33 AM>

tannersmith2000
  • Total Posts : 381
  • Reward points : 591
  • Joined: 3/27/2015
  • Location: GATE CITY, VA, US
Re:Culture Journal, Species: Pseudodiaptomus Pelagicus - Friday, July 29, 2016 9:18 AM
Here's some pictures under the scope: